Author Topic: Mk7 GTI traction control  (Read 2640 times)

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
Mk7 GTI traction control
« on: 24 June 2018, 22:05 »
Evening all,

I've currently got a mk7 GTI with the performance pack which I like apart from one thing, the traction control. I hate it. It's not just on my Golf, it's on every car I drive. The only traction control system I like is on end of my leg - my foot.

Now on most cars I drive, the system can simply be switched off and that's that, jobs a goodun but on my Golf, it's impossible to turn it off entirely.

My question is this, does anyone know if there is any way the coding can be changed to allow the system to be turned off entirely?

I'm an ex VAG master technician but I left VAG 10+ years ago so I'm a bit out of touch as to what can and can't be done these days so it'll be interesting to see if it can be done or not.

Thanks guys,

Gaz.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk7 GTI traction control
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2018, 09:08 »
You can go in an tinker, but the main thing if I remember correctly is that to fully kill it you need to disabled ABS, which also hoses the LSD on your PP...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2018, 09:30 »
Have you tried the coding that gives you an ESP OFF option? I've read that there should still be a tiny bit of intervention under an extreme scenario but to give an idea, when driven briskly around a track with ESP OFF I never got the system to come on neither I felt any of the standard restrictions, so it should be miles better than stock behaviour. Might want to try that first before start pulling fuses.

https://youtu.be/7lUtH012kec

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2018, 11:37 »
You can go in an tinker, but the main thing if I remember correctly is that to fully kill it you need to disabled ABS, which also hoses the LSD on your PP...

I thought the diff and ABS/ESP be linked  :rolleyes:

The system just takes away any fun you could possibly have with it! If I'm coming out of a roundabout and accelerate hard it just backs the power right off! Very annoying! Lol!

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2018, 11:56 »
Have you tried the coding that gives you an ESP OFF option? I've read that there should still be a tiny bit of intervention under an extreme scenario but to give an idea, when driven briskly around a track with ESP OFF I never got the system to come on neither I felt any of the standard restrictions, so it should be miles better than stock behaviour. Might want to try that first before start pulling fuses.

https://youtu.be/7lUtH012kec

I haven't tried any coding as I don't have access to anything like Vagcom but I do have an ex colleague that works for an Audi dealer so I may ask him if he can change it for me  :smiley:

The vid you posted is what I want to achieve though so at least I know it can be done! Thanks mate!  :wink:

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2018, 12:38 »
I haven't tried any coding as I don't have access to anything like Vagcom but I do have an ex colleague that works for an Audi dealer so I may ask him if he can change it for me  :smiley:

The vid you posted is what I want to achieve though so at least I know it can be done! Thanks mate!  :wink:

Ok, in that case (that you've not tried out any coding yet I mean) I think that coding will release all the freedom you're after, car feels very natural in its reactions with ESP OFF. It's also done via OBDEleven, a portable BT dongle for the OBD port that costs around 60euros and offers practically the same functionality as VCDS, useful for lots and lots other stuff too.

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2018, 12:50 »
Is that the one that needs to work with an Android device? 🤔

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2018, 12:54 »
Is that the one that needs to work with an Android device? 🤔

Yep, you need one of those as well.