Author Topic: de-badge and re-badge  (Read 11276 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: de-badge and re-badge
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2018, 21:54 »
So you want to debadge your GTI because you don’t like that it’s a GTI but when you want to sell it then you’ll rebadge it as GTI as it is actually a GTI?

Sounds like the the most pointless thread of 2018 so far!  :grin:

There is no way to confuse a CS with a regular GTI so don’t really know what the problem is. Don’t they all say Clubsport in massive writing down the side of the car?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2018, 22:59 »
So you want to debadge your GTI because you don’t like that it’s a GTI but when you want to sell it then you’ll rebadge it as GTI as it is actually a GTI?

There is no way to confuse a CS with a regular GTI so don’t really know what the problem is. Don’t they all say Clubsport in massive writing down the side of the car?

Thanks for your pointless and off-topic reply! It is of-course very much appreciated but I would like to kindly remind you the topic here is what's involved in de-bagding and re-badging, not what you think of the reasons behind the process. I have quite a few of them, I explained them briefly earlier while stressing out it's not a "tell me your opinion about debadging" thread but strangely you failed to identify even a single one in your arbitrary assumptions above. Almost sounds like you just wanted to write "this is the most pointless thread of 2018"  :huh:

However, If you're still losing sleep over it you might try thinking of it like this: MK7 GTI had silver badges, GTI PP (an actually identical car both visually and technically) had red, so either give me something different on the CS or I'd rather keep it clean and minimal, that's what I'd like, can't be THAT hard to grasp can it? But even if it is, just remember: it doesn't matter because it's not the topic here!!

Oh and I have been told, several times, stuff like: "i like your GTI, a friend/colleague of mine has the same car" (means standard GTI) or "I had an mk6, that's 10 or 20bhp more now?" , I've actually given up and nowadays reply: yeah they're not too bad, cheers... The Clubsport stripe on the side of a carbon grey car is not half as distinguishable as you might think, especially when dirty.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 23:25 by scanesare »

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2018, 06:51 »
Just tell people it's a two wheel drive R  :tongue:

2motion

I'm thinking of taking the rear R badge off mine but thats just because I like a clean look.

I just use boiling water to soften up the glue and then pull them off. Then use car polish on the glue, it dries it off and should just come away using a soft microfiber cloth
« Last Edit: 25 June 2018, 07:09 by Rob1981 »
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2018, 07:56 »
How about black badgeskins?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2018, 08:08 »

That’s quite a good idea. It would make the badges less obvious, ties in with the OP’s gloss black and Carbon Grey theme, and provides a solution to ‘missing badge’ look the OP would have if they removed the front grille badge. The badgeskins should also be easy to remove when the time comes to sell the car, although a prospective buyer might like them, in which case they could be left on.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2018, 08:21 »

2motion

I'm thinking of taking the rear R badge off mine but thats just because I like a clean look.

I just use boiling water to soften up the glue and then pull them off. Then use car polish on the glue, it dries it off and should just come away using a soft microfiber cloth
Hairdryer works too  :wink:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2018, 08:23 »
As JV said, it is a GTI which VW breathed on to celebrate the 40th anniversary. Yes you are perfectly in your right to mess about with the badges and then stick them back on when you sell, but it all seems like a pointless waste of time.  VW probably though the GTI fans would want standard badges, as it is a GTI after all, which wait for it, celebrates the heritage of the GTI.  Ironically by de-badgeing it, in my humble opinion, the general public (who don't know anything) will be like, or it's just another Golf. :laugh:

Thanks for your pointless and off-topic reply! It is of-course very much appreciated but I would like to kindly remind you the topic here is what's involved in de-bagding and re-badging, not what you think of the reasons behind the process. I have quite a few of them, I explained them briefly earlier while stressing out it's not a "tell me your opinion about debadging" thread but strangely you failed to identify even a single one in your arbitrary assumptions above. Almost sounds like you just wanted to write "this is the most pointless thread of 2018"  :huh:

However, If you're still losing sleep over it you might try thinking of it like this: MK7 GTI had silver badges, GTI PP (an actually identical car both visually and technically) had red, so either give me something different on the CS or I'd rather keep it clean and minimal, that's what I'd like, can't be THAT hard to grasp can it? But even if it is, just remember: it doesn't matter because it's not the topic here!!

Oh and I have been told, several times, stuff like: "i like your GTI, a friend/colleague of mine has the same car" (means standard GTI) or "I had an mk6, that's 10 or 20bhp more now?" , I've actually given up and nowadays reply: yeah they're not too bad, cheers... The Clubsport stripe on the side of a carbon grey car is not half as distinguishable as you might think, especially when dirty.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2018, 08:45 »

You might be on to something here, cheers!  Detailed reply just below

That’s quite a good idea actually. It would make the badges less obvious, ties in with the OP’s gloss black and Carbon Grey theme, and provides a solution to ‘missing badge’ look the OP would have if they removed the front grille badge. The badgeskins should also be easy to remove when the time comes to sell the car, although a prospective buyer might like them, in which case they could be left on.

Just had a look at dubber's suggestion (didn't even know such stuff is readily available) and I have a feeling it could be exactly as you say: Less obvious yet different than the standard GTI badge (much like the car is different to the standard GTI car) and again as you say, the gloss black version would match perfectly all those gloss black Clubsport specific bits of the bodykit. Hmmm...

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2018, 09:03 »

2motion

:grin:  A custom 2motion badge sounds very tempting indeed, might need to look into that

Totally agree on the cleaner hatch look on your R. Being an estate and more subtle overall you'll be giving it a real sleeper's look  :wink:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2018, 09:48 »

Couple of things as you seem to have flown off the handle here.

You perhaps need to look up the meaning of off topic. You subject says debadge and debadge and you’ll notice my reply mentioned both those words.
You implied you don’t like it’s being a GTI which is the reason for taking them off. Maybe you should have stated that you didn’t like the colour of them.

I had gloss black badgskins on my Indium Grey and they looked great, liked the subtle look and should have actually got the black side ones as well.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey