Author Topic: Plastic film body covering.  (Read 3030 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Plastic film body covering.
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2018, 11:02 »
Never used it and have no plans to use it either. Got a friend who has it on his BMW and even with PPF the front end has a few really bad stone chips on it. Was applied from new but I'm not sure where and what kind it is. I agree that it will help for minor stones at low speeds but it will never stop high speed stone flicks on a motorway.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2018, 14:15 »
It's a thin plastic film, what do people expect?  :undecided:

I'm sure the body armor I've worn didn't come with it :laugh:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2018, 17:30 »
Well judging by people on here it's the miraculous organic self healing wonder plastic that stops you getting any stone chips ever.   :whistle: seriously though for low speed stone flicks I'm sure it'll save the paintwork more than not having anything at all.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 17:39 by mcmaddy »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2018, 17:42 »
http://www.paintshield.co.uk/ provide a 4 year warranty - if anything penetrates the film, they will replace it. That's a lot of faith in the product. Driving on the motorway isn't excluded  :whistle:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2018, 17:47 »
Looks good but I still wouldn't waste my money on it. That's just me though  :whistle:

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2018, 18:22 »
So do people discount PPF because it may not stop every single price
of stone damage. The fact it may cut down damage by say 90% seems to be ignored.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2018, 18:47 »
I suppose it's looking at the cost of PPF compared to either a touch up paint, chipsaway or paint correction. Also with the norm for people to only really keep cars for 2 to 3 years is it worth the money. Then again a good paint protection detail costs 500 to 750ish.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2018, 19:35 »
I had my car detailed from new, even the delivery packing was left for the detailer to remove.
It has only ever been cleaned by the detailer and I plan to keep the car for 8-10 years.
I do not wash my cars.

My Grande Tour meant a large number of insect bodies/acid was left to bake onto the paintwork, some for over 8 weeks resulting in staining of the paintwork which now requires a repolish. Impact damage from stones was x2 both resulting in chips on the bonnet and one tiny chip in the windscreen.
Im already on my 2nd windscreen, that flying stone left a double groove in the bonnet paintwork that Im told should be retouched.

I was thinking of a full bonnet film cover.
Now considering bumper, wings and wing mirrors, plus those annoyingly shiney black panels behind the front windows. All depending on cost.

Offline Mikea

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2018, 23:16 »
I have PPF on my Ed40.

I can understand why some people think it’s not value for money or it won’t stop chips but 10K miles in and it all looks good.

Ok a respray of the bonnet and bumper might be less and a chipex kit even less but its personal preference.

The detailer that installed my PPF does a lot of Aston Martins including the demo cars. They showed me a AM that had had a bump in the snow scraping the front bumper, they removed the PPF and much to everyone’s surprise the PPF had saved the bumper. It’s not just stone chips it protects against.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141072971@N03/shares/8t541F
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 23:37 by Mikea »
Sold 2021 : 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Up! Gti Red 5 door, park and cruise, city emergency pack, climate control and 5 year warranty

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2018, 08:24 »
Many thanks for sharing that Mike.

It was firsthand experience or members with a sound knowledge of PPF I was seeking.

Can you explain what cleaning procedures you employ?
Also the name of the company who attached the film?