Author Topic: 3rd Turbo in 4 years brand new MK7 GTI  (Read 4122 times)

Offline insta_mash

• Just got here
3rd Turbo in 4 years brand new MK7 GTI
« on: 13 April 2018, 17:02 »
Hi guys was seeking some advice and sympathy from other GTI owners.

Bought my MK7 from a dealer Early 2015 ex demo 3000 miles. Long story short 18 months ago I had to replace the turbo but the car was under warranty and VW paid the full cost.

Fair enough I thought . I didn't really care thought it was a 1 off.

Fast forward to a week ago SAME PROBLEM. Took it to the dealer and BAM needs another turbo "Did I miss the recall or something?" apparently not.

So abbreviated version VW agree to pay the part "Good will" 1600 pounds and I pay labour 850 pounds. Even though I only replaced the damn turbo 18 months ago.

Part of me feels they are being fair by offering to pay that much but the other half of me realised its a 4 year old car now having its 3RD TURBO at 30k miles.

Anyone have anything similar to this? Or any advice ? Is this a fair deal or should VW be covering this bill?

Thanks

Jim

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 3rd Turbo in 4 years brand new MK7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2018, 17:16 »
That's not great at all!

On the other hand, I'm not sure where you stand after the 3 year warranty. They are offering to pay two thirds of the replacement cost, but you have to ask the question why the replacement unit failed after 18 months.

I know some of the earliest Mk7 turbos had some design issues, but you'd have thought that whatever they put back in would have been a later one.

Surely there has to be something else wrong to blow two in that time frame at that mileage?

You've not tuned it or tracked it a lot have you?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2018, 17:35 »
Replacement turbo should be covered for 2 years I think so all at VW's cost. Got all the paperwork for it?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2018, 17:39 »
Any genuine parts should come with a two warranty as JV says so I wouldn't be paying a penny.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2018, 17:49 »
That doesn't sound good at all, I picked up on the 3000 mile demo part, which means it may have been pushed from cold, how has the mileage and use been since.

I know VW replacement parts are guaranteed for 2 years, is there some fiendish small print that suggests investigation and labour costs need to be covered?

I would push for full replacement assuming the car has a full VW service history?
Good luck!

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2018, 17:49 »
As above i'd be disappointed if i were asked to pay anything to replace a part that is only 18 months old, and on a car that hasn't covered a great deal of miles.

Genuine parts should come with a two year warranty. That's why you pay a premium. 

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/volkswagen-genuine-parts

7.5 GTD

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2018, 18:15 »
In what way is the turbo failing? Smoking, noisy, not making boost etc?

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2018, 20:49 »
When mine failed, a few weeks ago the red steering wheel warning light appeared on the dash.. Other than that there was nothing to make me aware it was on the way out. If you get a similar light then stop and get a recovery to a dealer . I actually rang them and then drove gingerly to the garage but  after I was told it was probably  ok to do so. With hindsight, it was  a risky thing to do . Mine was the third turbo the garage had done in the last few months so not an uncommon problem !

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2018, 21:28 »
Replacement turbo should be covered for 2 years I think so all at VW's cost. Got all the paperwork for it?

Incorrect!

You don't get 'warranty on warranty' as you have not paid for the repair. 18 months on following a turbo replacement under manufacturer warranty, you have no warranty on said part! There would only be 1 Year/12K miles warranty on workmanship only.

Does seem unusual for the same part to fail several times in succession, its possible there is another underlying issue causing the part to repeatedly fail that they are missing, if the same authorised repairer has carried out the work each time may be worth a second opinion.

Given the circumstances it would not be unreasonable to contact VW UK to discuss further goodwill from them and they may honour additional goodwill or cover the repair in full given the recurring failure!
« Last Edit: 13 April 2018, 21:30 by Gaz W »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2018, 21:43 »
You've not tuned it or tracked it a lot have you?

None of these are to blame for the turbo failures on the MK7 though, despite what the warranty terms state. Lots of totally stock cars that have gone pop and just as many and even more that are lightly or more heavily tuned or tracked that still go strong. It's not a matter of use but of some manufacturing defect apparently.