Author Topic: Map updates on new (FL MK7.5) Navigation system  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Map updates on new (FL MK7.5) Navigation system
« on: 09 March 2018, 11:51 »
Hi guys,

Quick question please. As my newly ordered GTI will be the first of my MK7's without a "Pro" navigation system (just sticking with the lower spec "standard Nav unit), how does one go about updating the maps. Can I confirm what I've read is that the supplied SD card (in slot 2) is a special CDA version of an SD card with 7 licenses built in (one already used for the maps already on the card), which allows 6 further map updates over the next 3 years as part of the VW licensing system.

Thus I gather when using something like the VW Discovercare software, it's the original SD card that has to be in the computer for an update and not any old SD card (otherwise it won't work) ? If that is the case, are you allowed to backup the contents of the original SD card before hand (in case something goes wrong) ?

Out of interest, after 3 years if you need to further update the maps or if your SD card becomes corrupt or damaged, anyone know how much they are to replace ?

One final question, is it still possible on the standard Nav to load speed camera databases (like my current Gen 2 Nav Pro) ? On my current unit I prepare the POI (Speed camera) package, load it onto a small 2gb SD card I have just for that purpose, and they then get uploaded to the Pro's HDD. On the SD card based system is the process similar as I'd be a bit worried about putting anything other than the VW maps onto the official Navigation SD card ? If it's possible, anyone know if the POI data is copied across automatically onto the Navigation SD card by the system, or do they reside in some sort of flash or EEPROM memory on the head unit (just for my info) ?
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 11:59 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Map updates on new (FL MK7.5) Navigation system
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 13:11 »
Andrew you need to use the supplied card that comes with your car. You are advised to back up the data each update time anyway. I'm not aware of the cards only having 7 licenses on but if that's the case just update the maps once a year which means you'll get 6 years updates. POIs are done the same way as Nav pro but I believe you need to leave the SD card in the other slot for then to work, you can't put anything else on the VW supplied card. Cards are readily available on eBay in case you lose it but if it corrupts within warranty I'd be getting VW to replace the card foc.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2018, 13:53 »
Cheers Chris
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2018, 07:49 »
Personal POI's are stored on the unit and can be updated from an SD card in the other slot. Once that is done, that card can be removed. I then use that slot for my music.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2018, 08:33 »
Personal POI's are stored on the unit and can be updated from an SD card in the other slot. Once that is done, that card can be removed. I then use that slot for my music.

Good to know 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2018, 11:10 »
You can PM me for a SC POI database already in the right format, just needs to be copied onto SD card.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2018, 14:09 »
You can PM me for a SC POI database already in the right format, just needs to be copied onto SD card.

PM sent 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Muddybuggy29

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2018, 07:25 »
. Hi is this straight forward to install and would it be possible for you to forward a copy to me please many thanks
« Last Edit: 11 March 2018, 07:40 by Muddybuggy29 »

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2018, 20:25 »
Sorry.... Just to confirm, its possible to update the maps for free in the first 3 years? (possibly up to 7 times).

If so, where do I get the software for this?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2018, 20:31 »
You don't need software, just download maps, extract, delete old maps of SD and copy new maps to card.
And yes.... you can update for at least 3 years, probably even longer than that.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles