Author Topic: Recommended dash cam?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Recommended dash cam?
« on: 05 March 2018, 20:54 »
Hi guys,

New to the MK7 forum, had a MK6 but now part of the mk7.5 family since Jan - loving it so far

Thinking about getting a dash cam, one that can also record if god forbid I was to be a victim of a hit and run. Budget up to £150-ish max. Also, how easy are they to fit? Don’t really fancy having wires hanging about or visible.

Thanks

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
Re: Recommended dash cam?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2018, 21:34 »
The viofo A119 is spot on, hides away behind the mirror no bother.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/11/2/dashcam-review-viofo-a119-simple-capable-capacitor-camera.html

Using a fuse tap is the best way to provide power, no splicing wires and it's easy to route the cable behind the a pillar trim and across the headliner.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2018, 10:29 »
Not normally one to recommend Halfords, but they offer a dash cam fitting service for £30. Not too bad in my opinion given the fact it's a bit of a hassle to fit yourself. FYI, you don't need to buy your dash cam from them.

Offline dreamcar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2018, 17:28 »
John Lewis have my preferred dashcam (Nextbase 512GW) for sale at £149 with a two year warranty.  My dealer matched the price, as a VW approved accessory it also has a two year warranty and they’ll hardware install it for me FOC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2018, 19:15 »
Don't forget that your insurer might well want to know that you have it fitted.. Basically it's a theft risk... Don't be telling them the first time you have an accident and wanting to provide them with evidence from it...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2018, 23:06 »
Thanks for the advice guys. I think swift cover, who I’m with give discounts off the insurance if you have a next base dash cam installed.

Question about the actual fitting, will it need to be hardwired to the battery and will it drain the battery?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2018, 07:31 »
If it's wired correctly it shouldn't drain the battery. Does the cam have parking recording? If not then the cam will only be on when the car is turned on so won't drain the battery.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2018, 08:11 »
Nextbase are generally seen as market leaders and have a model to suit all budgets.

I have the 212, fitted by Halfords which they charge £30 - which is a bargain a the hardwire kit on its own is £20.  Fully hard wired in, vert neat installation. The Nextbase cams work on a magnetic click so takes a second to remove from the car if you don't won't it on show.

Quality is good, if you want the best you need the 512 but jumps up in price.

It does have a parking mode but you have to set it each time you leave, I don't bother with this.

Think the 212 was £120 fully fitted with the Nextbase memory card and free lens cover.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2018, 10:06 »
I have the nextbase 512gw great bit of kit very clear resolution day and night bough a 2nd mount si able to swap from trick to car fell lucky Halfords had it on offer round xmas £129 so I grabed it  :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2018, 16:40 »
I have the nextbase 512gw great bit of kit very clear resolution day and night bough a 2nd mount si able to swap from trick to car fell lucky Halfords had it on offer round xmas £129 so I grabed it  :whistle:

Do these have speed camera recognition? If not any recommendations of Dash Cams that do. Garmin? Thanks.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2018, 17:21 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.