Author Topic: Please help, me and my mechanic are baffled. mk3 gti cutting out  (Read 4413 times)

Offline mattyjcooper

• Not said much yet
Thanks for the add.

Im after some much needed advice. Ive got a mk3 gti 8v. Cars been stuck in the garage for 2 weeks, me and the mechanics are baffled. My bill is just climbing as we keep changing parts and not fixing the problem.

She cut out on me 2 weeks ago. Had to call rac and ended up being towed home. The starter motor was destroyed. After replacing that it was sticking in as if the ignition was on. Replaced ignition, fixed that problem.
Then took it for MOT and she cut out once the cooling fan turned OFF. The car warmed to temperature fine, fan turned on. Then the fan would turn off after a few minutes and cut the engine at the same time. And wouldnt start again. Started 10 minutes later and then cuts out again when then fan turns back off.. Any ideas atall?? Crank sensor has been checked. Alternator and all the obvious things. Were baffled please help!
The only thing left to change is the ecu relay. then hes told me i will have to get an auto electrician which i really dony want to do!
Mk3 gti 8v

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Which engine code???
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline mattyjcooper

• Not said much yet
Tbh not sure with this one. Its a1997 mk3 8v.
Only had it for about 2 months. My last one got written off.

Ive now ordered a new coil pack even though it looks new and the last owners said they had replaced it. Also got a fuel filter and fuek pump relay on its way. Im gettin the car dropped back off at my house this evening so hopefully will the the fuel filter and relay over the weekend. Coil doesnt arrive untill next week but pretty positive this isnt the problem. Maybe it was faulty and hasnt lasted very long.
Mk3 gti 8v

Offline mattyjcooper

• Not said much yet
Also i have decided the car cuts oit when it gets to a certain temperature
Mk3 gti 8v

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
How did they check the crank sensor,using an oscilascope?,this is a common symptom of the crank sensor breaking down as it gets hot,when the engine cools abit it will work again.

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
Check the sensor just behind the front engine mount, mine used to have issues when it got hot or hit a bump it would kill the engine as the sensor wiring had broken and was causing an issue. takes about 20 mins to change and the car worked fine after that.