Author Topic: long term fuel consumption  (Read 3555 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
long term fuel consumption
« on: 23 January 2018, 14:16 »
I should have chosen to untick the brakes option when I specified my Mercedes E320 cdi 18 years ago because, by not using the brakes, I can get 40mpg out of it.

I expect my driving habits will change when that car is replaced by a gti7.5 pp in a few weeks, but I'd be interested to know what long term, and max and min over short term, fuel consumption the connoisseurs of this board get. Please.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: long term fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2018, 14:59 »
I've done 11k miles in my gti pp and long term is 31mpg. That was sitting at 34 before the cold weather kicked in but I have had 47mpg on a long drive. I personally haven't noticed the difference in my mk7 gtd from before and actually much prefer the GTi.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2018, 21:12 »
Depends entirely how you drive it.

I can get 30 - 70mpg on a trip; 35 - 65 mpg over a whole tank of fuel in my GTD with DSG.
(35mpg chasing top speed on Autobahn wherever possible, 65 racing lorries and never ever using the brakes).

Realistically in a PP.... 28 - 40mpg, depending on driving profile and your right foot. Maybe 50 on trips if you really just cruise it alongside lorries for 100mi on a motorway (and never go near the throttle).

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/50-Volkswagen/452-Golf.html?fueltype=2&fuelsort=7&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2017&constyear_e=2018&power_s=235&power_e=250&powerunit=2
« Last Edit: 23 January 2018, 21:23 by itavaltalainen »
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Alun

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2018, 21:19 »
I should have chosen to untick the brakes option when I specified my Mercedes E320 cdi 18 years ago because, by not using the brakes, I can get 40mpg out of it.

I expect my driving habits will change when that car is replaced by a gti7.5 pp in a few weeks, but I'd be interested to know what long term, and max and min over short term, fuel consumption the connoisseurs of this board get. Please.

Have had my mk7.5 gti pp dsg since mid November 17 and my average mpg is 32.3 many short journeys driving mostly in economy mode, had some fun in sport mode and have also used normal mode. Cold weather, short journeys,  new car needs to bed in and getting used to driving my new car all contribute to my average mpg. I would expect average mpg to improve when the temperature improves in the spring and the other contributing factors are taken into account, hopefully to about 40mpg. Total miles covered so far 650 miles.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2018, 06:47 »
Depends entirely how you drive it.

I can get 30 - 70mpg on a trip; 35 - 65 mpg over a whole tank of fuel in my GTD with DSG.
(35mpg chasing top speed on Autobahn wherever possible, 65 racing lorries and never ever using the brakes).

Realistically in a PP.... 28 - 40mpg, depending on driving profile and your right foot. Maybe 50 on trips if you really just cruise it alongside lorries for 100mi on a motorway (and never go near the throttle).

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/50-Volkswagen/452-Golf.html?fueltype=2&fuelsort=7&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2017&constyear_e=2018&power_s=235&power_e=250&powerunit=2
My best mpg was the journey I did to Skye and that wasn't just pootling at 50mph. Lots of overtaking etc etc and got high 40s.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2018, 11:06 »
Had the GTI since October. Done around 1800 miles so far. Mainly short trips around London and few further out. Switched between ECO and Sport quite regularly. My best mpg so far was on a long drive and managed to get 38mpg whilst driving in Sport mode. So I'm guessing it would've be allot better if it were ECO.

I've since fitted a pedalbox, so mainly drive in Normal mode and averaging around 32 mpg.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 11:08 by DTX3 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2018, 11:13 »
ECO mode won't save you much... it adds throttle deadness, slows down ACC acceleration, reduces the aircon and turns off the cornering lights. Oh and with DSG enables coasting.

Honestly, in most situations I'd be surprised if it adds more than a couple of MPG, possibly even negative to MPG if you aren't cruising on the motorway on ACC and using more throttle input to get over the dead car feeling...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2018, 11:35 »
You can set just engine to 'Eco' and leave all the rest on normal or whatever you prefer.
I have mine set up to Eco on engine and ACC, steering and dynamic cornering lights to Sport and AC to normal.
Easy enough to flick it to sport for overtaking, tbh even with engine in Eco you'll leave 99% of cars behind you.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2018, 11:54 »
Tried ECO once and hated it, my OH's 1.0 Lupo was more responsive :rolleyes: I can't even see it making much difference to mpg, that's down to driving style. On the motorway or poor conditions I use Normal and my pedalbox in sport, otherwise Individual with everything set to sport except for steering which is on normal.

MPG wise, short commutes (5 miles) I get between 28 and 33 temperature depending, steady long runs 45 to 50 (but more often around 45) and long motorway runs 40 to 45. Very happy with that :smiley: My previous Audi varied from 26 to a max of 33 so a great improvement and so much more go too :evil:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2018, 12:03 »
A 1.0 Lupo is already overpowered for London traffic thou :D