Author Topic: reversing camera  (Read 4203 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: reversing camera
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2018, 14:45 »
. . . . . but look at it like this - if it saves you or SWMBO reversing into 1 thing in your entire car ownership then it paid for itself.

That is true!
Too right and tow bars. Use it daily, fantastic piece of kit. Especially on the large screen. See's far more than your mirrors and sensors do.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2018, 14:56 »
The way I look at options is the difficulty in retro fitting if not specced. Camera is one of the first things I spec and will be on future cars too as it just makes things a lot easier.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2018, 15:39 »
It's a cheap-ish option (actually comes standard here in Ireland as part of a tech-pack that seems to get spec'd on them all)... so for the money, it's definitely worth it. Granted the car is a small hatchback but it's still great as it gives you another very clear / sharp view of whats behind you (even at night, the image is quite good) and that can only be a good thing.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2018, 16:05 »
The way I've looked on it on the last two cars was that it's a relatively cheap option, and the night vision from it is brilliant (to compensate for the crap reversing lights). So it makes maneuvering at night a breeze and just makes sure the sensors haven't missed anything.

It's also good as well in daylight to use the guide lines to line you up with a parking space so you are perfectly central, and I use the red horizontal bar closest to the car as my guide on how far back to reverse leaving a perfect amount of space behind me between the car and say a wall to be able able to stand behind the car and open the boot.

TBH, you can't have enough of these types of aids in my opinion as one low bollard not picked up by the sensors can ruin your bumper (and your day) !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2018, 19:11 »
Interesting one this one: I ordered it on my 7.5 and hardly ever refer to it when parking. Wish I'd saved the money, although I'm sure others will say otherwise.

Specified it on wife's A6 estate as she tows a horse trailer with it and it's useful for lining up the tow bar, but for a smallish hatchback that already has parking sensors I don't think it's particularly useful unless you have a regular, specific parking manoeuvre that you actually need to view the rear of the car.

We had a G wagon on the farm at home and what I did was hitch up the trailer and get someone to draw a line on the trailer where the middle of the rear view mirror, then every other time I just keep the mark in the centre of the mirror. Never failed.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2018, 07:13 »
I have had it on all 3 of my Mk7 and Mk7.5 and wouldn’t be without it for reasons already mentioned on here. I have noticed on my Mk7.5 the image is not as good as the previous ones. It was pin sharp before but my new one seem slightly blurred :undecided:
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just mine ? It’s almost as though there could have been a bit of plastic protection film that has been left on the lens but I had a look and couldn’t see anything obvious :huh:
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 07:15 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2018, 09:21 »
I have had it on all 3 of my Mk7 and Mk7.5 and wouldn’t be without it for reasons already mentioned on here. I have noticed on my Mk7.5 the image is not as good as the previous ones. It was pin sharp before but my new one seem slightly blurred :undecided:
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just mine ? It’s almost as though there could have been a bit of plastic protection film that has been left on the lens but I had a look and couldn’t see anything obvious :huh:

i've noticed it too tbh, but it's still a good addon imho :)

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2018, 12:40 »
When I purchased my car secondhand it already had the reversing camera which although I didn't think it would be used it has turned out to be very useful and if I ever purchase a new car is something I would add to the 'wanted' extras list.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2018, 18:11 »

i've noticed it too tbh, but it's still a good addon imho :)

It is good if you had not seen the excellent quality version  on the earlier cars. I think I will get it looked at at some point soon to see what they say :smiley:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2018, 23:53 »

That does seem strange. The 7.5 has a sharper screen. Unless they changed the camera? I wonder what resolution the camera puts out too, that might make it look worse on the better screen
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints