Author Topic: reversing camera  (Read 4201 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
reversing camera
« on: 23 January 2018, 11:44 »
I have not specified a reversing camera on my soon-to-be-built 7.5pp. Are the parking sensors sufficient? Do people with a camera rate it highly?

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
Re: reversing camera
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2018, 12:01 »
Interesting one this one: I ordered it on my 7.5 and hardly ever refer to it when parking. Wish I'd saved the money, although I'm sure others will say otherwise.

Specified it on wife's A6 estate as she tows a horse trailer with it and it's useful for lining up the tow bar, but for a smallish hatchback that already has parking sensors I don't think it's particularly useful unless you have a regular, specific parking manoeuvre that you actually need to view the rear of the car. 
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2018, 12:10 »
I agree with Arnold^^^
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2018, 12:23 »
I find it re-assuring to see that I haven't missed anything that may not have been visible in the mirrors, and it also helps when reversing off my drive as we're at a bit of fork in the road and traffic can approach from three directions, it's easier to glance at "10pm", "3pm" and down at the centre console than it is to glance at "7pm" as well!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2018, 12:34 »
While I agree that it is not necessary on a small hatchback, I do find it useful. Especially when reversing up to high kerbs not detected by the parking sensors. Also useful when parking as I can see the line of the parking bay behind me. So I know that I am perfectly positioned in the space.

There are sensors on our A3, but no camera. I'm surprised how much I miss it.

As brettblade says it is just reassuring to see into, what is normally, a blind spot.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2018, 12:34 »
it's great at night time and in the dreaded car parks too tbh i don't use it constantly but it has become the 4th mirror and has helped alot :)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2018, 12:36 »
We had war and peace on this only a couple of months ago, knock yourself out;-

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=282529.0

Like with most things on here, there is no consensus. I think it's good value for money. But not everyone agrees.
7.5 GTD

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2018, 12:53 »
I have one but I could take it or leave it. I use it mainly for positioning in parking bays and if I want to get really close to something then I solely use the parking sensors. It’s nice to have but I could easily live without it.

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2018, 13:04 »
I specced it and love it. Why? because it shows you things you may not be able to clearly see from the cockpit, such as those menancing short posts in the tip and such! Sure, sensors can see it to a degree - but sensors can't help you spot danger when reversing from an obscured driveway and the camera can.

It's not essential and I wouldn't have missed it had I not got it, but look at it like this - if it saves you or SWMBO reversing into 1 thing in your entire car ownership then it paid for itself.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2018, 14:27 »
. . . . . but look at it like this - if it saves you or SWMBO reversing into 1 thing in your entire car ownership then it paid for itself.

That is true!
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.