Author Topic: Uprated rear anti roll bar  (Read 7467 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Uprated rear anti roll bar
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2018, 17:34 »
Ordered the thicker Clubsport S anti roll bar before Xmas, not fitted it yet but was quite reasonable at £88.

Did you happen to measure the diameter of that by any chance? Would like to see how it compares with the CS one and some aftermarket options.

ARB's are usually the best vfm suspension mod in FWD cars, the equivalent of a stage 1 remap for the chassis  :wink: and

I have no particular complaints with my CS but I would imagine it shares the same rarb with the standard GTI so for £88 I could easily try the CSS option if it stands somewhere between stock and aftermarket options which I'd imagine are thicker.

My understanding is that the CS shares the same ARB as the GTI Performance in the U.K.

Both ARBs are hollow, with the CCS being the same size externally but with 3.6mm thicker tubing.

Cheers, i was about to write that 22mm is the PP/CS external diameter so it didn't sound right.

Still, this part number matches PP/CS arbs with a quick Google search...  :huh:

http://germanoem.ca/gti-performance-pack-sway-bar-22mm-oem-5q0511305ba.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mk7-gti-rear-sway-bar-217mm/5q0511305ba/

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2018, 17:39 »
Ordered the thicker Clubsport S anti roll bar before Xmas, not fitted it yet but was quite reasonable at £88.

Did you happen to measure the diameter of that by any chance? Would like to see how it compares with the CS one and some aftermarket options.

ARB's are usually the best vfm suspension mod in FWD cars, the equivalent of a stage 1 remap for the chassis  :wink: and

I have no particular complaints with my CS but I would imagine it shares the same rarb with the standard GTI so for £88 I could easily try the CSS option if it stands somewhere between stock and aftermarket options which I'd imagine are thicker.

My understanding is that the CS shares the same ARB as the GTI Performance in the U.K.

Both ARBs are hollow, with the CCS being the same size externally but with 3.6mm thicker tubing.

Cheers, i was about to write that 22mm is the PP/CS external diameter so it didn't sound right.

Still, this part number matches PP/CS arbs with a quick Google search...  :huh:

http://germanoem.ca/gti-performance-pack-sway-bar-22mm-oem-5q0511305ba.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mk7-gti-rear-sway-bar-217mm/5q0511305ba/

I think the USA GTI PP gets the CCS ARB as standard.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2018, 17:45 »
I think the USA GTI PP gets the CCS ARB as standard.

They don't even get full spec GTIs and Rs and they got the CSS arb?  :shocked: 

You may find an earlier thread useful - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279388.0

Yep I remember that. So according to that thread my CS arb has a different p/n than the one that shows up in the two US parts shops for the PP arb I posted before. Which might actually mean the US GTI's have the CSS arb?? Sounds totally weird though.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2018, 14:20 »
That's good to know about the anti roll bar! I assume it's just a direct fit?
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2018, 17:54 »
That's good to know about the anti roll bar! I assume it's just a direct fit?

I’m hoping it’s an easy fit, although have been told that I’ll need to loosen the rear muffler to make room.

So holding off fitting it just yet as I’m going to order a CCS rear muffler as well.  :grin:
« Last Edit: 25 January 2018, 18:00 by 7MAT »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2018, 15:51 »
Got my anti roll bar fitted earlier in the week. I went for the ST one from awesome. It's such a great addition; I didn't think it would make as big a difference. The car feels more planted even during regular driving as well as having flatter turn in when going more quickly. For the cost I think it's one of the best upgrades so far. I would recommend it for sure :) I'm now contemplating getting a revo dogbone upgrade to go with it ...
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2018, 16:31 »
I think I will be also going for the ST over the CSS one. Comparing CS/PP vs CSS vs ST using a ARB stiffness calculator, one can see that the CSS is only 18% stiffer, whereas the ST is around 110% stiffer. This might sound like a lot, but is near the extra stiffness that a typical upgraded ARB offers in most cases, it's not exactly comparable to say spring stiffness where an extra 50% can already feel like too much. Furthermore ST is one of the mildest upgrade options (H&R and Eibach are even stiffer) and every ST review I've seen has only positive comments with no mention of noticeable ride impact.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2018, 16:35 »
The only differences which I have noticed are positive. There is certainly no harshness to the ride, nor any crashing over bumps. That's a handy comparison you have made and goes to show the difference between the CSS one for example.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2018, 17:08 »
Has to be said that the dimensions entered in the calculator are in approximation as I don't have exact numbers but still should be quite close. The most important factor, which we know with certainty, is the internal and external diameters as they are used to the power of 4 in the formula, so every extra mm has a multiplied impact on the stiffness. As much as I would have liked to go for an OEM+ upgrade in the form of the CSS arb it just isn't significantly stiffer to justify the cost, in fact at 18% it should be barely noticeable.

I have changed to near 100% stiffer arbs in cars of mine in the past and as you say I had only positive things to report. I guess it takes even greater factors (200-300%) to start affecting ride harshness.

The pricing of the ST bar is also extremely competitive. Every other known competitor sells for almost double that money which frankly is stupid expensive, since when does an ordinary arb cost 300$ ??

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2018, 16:05 »
I think I will be also going for the ST over the CSS one. Comparing CS/PP vs CSS vs ST using a ARB stiffness calculator, one can see that the CSS is only 18% stiffer, whereas the ST is around 110% stiffer. This might sound like a lot, but is near the extra stiffness that a typical upgraded ARB offers in most cases, it's not exactly comparable to say spring stiffness where an extra 50% can already feel like too much. Furthermore ST is one of the mildest upgrade options (H&R and Eibach are even stiffer) and every ST review I've seen has only positive comments with no mention of noticeable ride impact.

Thanks for the info, just ordered the ST Black ARB based on the above. Plan to put the CCS Arb on eBay now.