Author Topic: Dog Guard / Boot Covers  (Read 2821 times)

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
Dog Guard / Boot Covers
« on: 22 January 2018, 15:30 »
Any dog owners?
I'm looking at a dog and so starting to consider the car....

What do people use in their 7/7.5 for transporting their dogs?
Dog guards? Boot covers? Dog Crate?
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Re: Dog Guard / Boot Covers
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2018, 15:35 »
A VW dog guard and a Hatchbag boot liner will keep everything in perfect shape. The Hatchbags are great products, very strong and durable with a great fit.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2018, 15:45 »
Obviously dog size depending but we had a harness for ours which hooked up to the seatbelt. It had lots of padding for the chest area and we had a good seat cover so everyone was happy :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2018, 15:49 »
A VW dog guard and a Hatchbag boot liner will keep everything in perfect shape. The Hatchbags are great products, very strong and durable with a great fit.

This is my current thinking.
Hatchbag can stay in all time and guard taken in/out as required.
I see some of the guards can't be fitted with the parcel shelf... is the oem one any different?
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2018, 18:02 »
+1 for the Hatchbag. It’s a great fit in the Golf and easy to put in and take out too. Had one for a couple years in my wife’s Fiat 500 and can confirm it is Springer proof !! They are really hard wearing 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2018, 19:33 »
OP; you might want to also consider some form of rear bumper protection to protect against the dog’s claws scratching the rear bumper if the dog’s large enough to jump in and out of the boot by itself (if it’s a small dog, you can lift it in and out).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2018, 20:16 »
Travall guard is excellent. I have had one fitted for two years now and shows no sign of wear . Straightforward to fit and take out and only takes a few minutes. Costs about £100 on the net no idea what VW charge but if a lot more this is the  one to go for. I buy cheap boot liners on eBay for a few quid and they do the job. I got Rearguard bumper protector . It’s gone  dull grey but still doing a decent job. See Travall as they are now doing them. No idea if they are better tho .
« Last Edit: 22 January 2018, 20:17 by robtt »

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2018, 18:08 »
The Travali Guard is great. If you're not in a hurry it's worth keeping an eye out on eBay or the classifieds as they are expensive new but half the price when used. Very easy to fit and rock solid.

I bought this boot liner https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/custom-boot-liners/volkswagen/golf-mk7-hatchback-raised-floor-2013-onwards and it's an excellent fit and just as good, if not better as the HatchBag version (I had one of those for a week or so before deciding to sell it (I bought it used). It also has a flap to protect the bumper.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2018, 12:01 »
Hatchbag boot liner, spec the drop down flap to protect rear bumper as hound jumps in and out.

Travall dog guard and jobs a good 'un.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect