Author Topic: will gti 7.5 pp seem small, twitchy and ill-mannered cf E class?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
I have a yr 2000 Mercedes E320 cdi. It is the most unreliable car I have ever owned. Most of the tech has broken over the years. Also, it is rusting to bits due to reported all time low in quality control. However, once inside, you are wafted along on a silent magic carpet and can, if necessary, out-accelerate modest hot hatches and enjoy sideways progress by drifting round roundabouts (ESP turned off).

Its power to weight ratio is about half that of the Golf, its acceleration is unreliable since it resembles putting a request to a committee and if the variable-ratio turbo and the slush box gearbox are on your side it will pull up its skirts and shift briskly, but sometimes not and you are left in the doldrums.

I am bracing myself for a bumpier ride with the Golf, maybe I won't be able to straddle those cushion speed bumps, perhaps I'll be frustrated that I can't get a bike in the back (the E class swallows two into its boot if you take the wheels off). But my real need for a big car has passed, I would like some reasonably inexpensive fun before the petrol runs out.

Has anybody made a similar transition?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
To the main question, I am going with 'no'.

18 year old Merc of dubious sounding ability other than waft. GTI will be a joy. Mostly.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline WatchThis

• Not said much yet
Have you tried one with DCC?
Enjoying: Atlantic Blue 5 door GTI PP DSG Brescia's-Art Velours-Park-Camera-Voice-Excite-Airbags-Keyless-DCC-Traffic Jam-Climate Windscreen-Dynamic lights-Rear tints

Offline Pwardy

• Not said much yet
We have a 2005 E 280 Cdi, best car, by a very large margin, we ever owned.

Mercedes must have got their act together over 5 years.  We drive a Merc, we have a Mk2 Golf GTi both lovely cars with a very different purpose and appeal.

Depends how and where you drive.