Author Topic: VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres  (Read 8200 times)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres
« Reply #30 on: 21 January 2018, 20:49 »
Which ones did you have before?

My Michelin A4 were still decent in warm weather last year, the other ones I had were Avon IceTouring ST which were just sh!te in warm weather. They had poor tread design and to compensate they made them very soft, as soon as you got to 15 degrees they just smeared all over.

Got Nokian WR A4 now on all four corners now and they easily match the Michelins in performance.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #31 on: 21 January 2018, 21:18 »
Which ones did you have before?
I think they were the old Dunlop Ultra Grip 7. 16 inch on my Mk6 GTD and 15 inch on our Mk5 Golf Match. Not good above 12C.

I was just reading about the new Continental TS 860 S UHP winter tyres. It appears that they are focused more on dry braking and handling. The standard touring tyres appear to have better extreme weather performance. :huh:

« Last Edit: 21 January 2018, 22:22 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 21 January 2018, 23:01 »
I bought a set of Conti winter tyres for my Mk6 GTi in 2013. Used them that winter and the following one when I put them on a set of Team Dynamics wheels I bought. Probably about a grand all in. I then had a Passat for 2 years until we both changed cars so they sat in my mum's garage. My wife then got a MK7 R and the wheels are the same size as the GTi so we've put them on that this winter and without having any real deep snow we've had enough to justify having them on. Especially as my car is a 330d which is utterly useless after even a flake of snow. The R just goes about its business with no trouble at all. Even today we've been out in it. Not one slip at all in the snow and slush.
I'm totally convinced by them.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 22 January 2018, 20:23 »
Over the weekend the ski centers were packed....& loads of people in cars on summer tryes getting stuck & crashing again....Glencoe was very bad...also the Council haven't been gritting (no surprise there as they have spent their £5million winter gritting budget & £500,000 more & still have until April to cover)..

Basically if you want to travel up here to ski & its snowing fit winter tyres as you are liable to cause huge traffic problem for everyone else...

Post on this from this page onwards re Glencoe

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,173932,page=9

& BBC roughly reporting it..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42760394

About time we did as other countires do..want to drive to the ski resorts? you have to have certain tyres &/or chains...otherwise the police stop you...

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #34 on: 23 January 2018, 21:16 »
Maybe Ultragrip 7 are made for very cold weather.

I know e.g. Nokian Hakkapeliitta are made for arctic climate, brilliant in -20 but at +15 they are crap (even the non-stud ones).
Conti 860 will probably be good, never had a bad Conti tyre tbh. Would also look at Nokian WR A4 (or even the D4, though A4 are probably more suitable for wet weather - and no I don't get commission from Nokian :D ).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2018, 13:39 »
I swear by winter tyres for the initial costs which aren't that bad unless your wanting a stock look like on 18s and winter tyres which get expensive.
I bought a set of steelies off Mr wintertyres wirh tyres cost me over 400 quid had the tyres swapped onto some alloys now just gotta sell the steeliestimate now.
Not wanting to hijack the post but if anyone is interested in a set for winter see here.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=282703.msg2581025#msg2581025

I know over the recent weeks when we've had the snow it's reassuring to have some winter rubber down instead of the P zeros  :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 24 January 2018, 18:17 »
Only issue is the ones with PP can't use anything smaller than a 17" wheel so steels are no good.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 24 January 2018, 18:25 »
Only issue is the ones with PP can't use anything smaller than a 17" wheel so steels are no good.

Yeah good point non PP for 16's because of the bigger brake callipers

'''' Ammended ''''  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 20:14 by gtiaps »
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆