Author Topic: Bi-xenon headlight bulb going on and off  (Read 4165 times)

Offline allycat45

• Not said much yet
Bi-xenon headlight bulb going on and off
« on: 13 January 2018, 15:40 »
Hi, I have a 2013 Mk7 Golf GTI and have a problem with the right (offside) bi-xenon headlight going off and then back on again intermittently.

It started a week or so ago. The headlights come on as normal at startup, but after a while the right hand light goes off for a few seconds and then back on again, and this repeats with a gap between off-on cycles anywhere between 30 sec and 1-2 minutes.

I have searched these boards and found a couple of relevant links:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279046.msg2550485#msg2550485

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270994.msg2482858#msg2482858

The first link has a post from user wigit replying to user Tornado8 who says this was how it started for him when he had to have his Polo bi-xenons changed.

Can anyone advise if this is likely to just be the bulb or the igniter or the ballast or any combination of those ? As I understand it the dealers may quote to replace the whole unit for anywhere around £1000. I am happy to have a go at replacing the bulb using the guide on here but wondered if anyone had any advice if it is likely to just be the bulb ? Or do the bulb and igniter come as a set ? Should I do both sides to ensure the colours are the same ?

Thanks in advice for your insights and opinions.
Arrived: GTI, DSG, 5 Door, Carbon Steel Grey, Service Plan, Winter Pack, Side Airbag, DCC (or ACC - the Adaptive Chassis thing, ok?), Park Assist, Rear View Camera

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Bi-xenon headlight bulb going on and off
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2018, 16:51 »
It could be either the bulb or the ballast. The only way you can find out is to swap the bulbs over and see if the problem occurs on the other side. If it does, then it will be the bulb. There are plenty of places that sell OEM quality replacement bulbs (and ballasts), so no need to pay the inflated dealer prices. Just make sure you order the correct ones, as there are many different types.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2018, 17:28 »
Most likely the tubes themselves, ballasts are less likely.
I'd replace both with aftermarket ones from known brand, Osram, GE etc.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2018, 07:25 »
Had this happen myself last year.  Xenon bulb had to be replaced.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2018, 18:32 »
My friend had thus recently in his Octavia replaced the bulb fixed it
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2018, 13:47 »
They replaced both bulbs on my Polo

VW only approved one but dealer ordered a second as new the other would fail so both were changed

I think they were something like £130 quid each