Author Topic: Just bought a DSG... advice?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
Just bought a DSG... advice?
« on: 31 December 2017, 10:57 »
Hi,

I’ve just put my money where my mouth is and purchased a 2015 GTI.

Drove the DSG for the first time on the day of purchase and really liked it so took a bit of a leap of faith and ordered it.

It’s 5dr DSG in Limestone Grey with Leather, NAV Pro, sensors and a few other extras. Pick it up next weekend!

I have a few questions, mostly about DSG...

How is DSG to live with for long term MPG, should I adjust my driving style after having driven manual for years.

Should I look after the car differently due to the fact it’s DSG, is there anything extra I should be doing or anything I should regularly be checking - I know very little about DSG.

Any other useful tips or tricks would be much appreciated.
2015 MK7 GTI DSG, Limestone Grey, Leather, Nav Pro

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Just bought a DSG... advice?
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2017, 13:33 »
Don't know too much about DSG, sorry, but you will do better if you post this in the MK7 section :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2017, 13:59 »
Thanks I’ve now added it to the MK7 section

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2017, 14:02 »
Excellent! You'll get plenty of replies there, some useful, some not but a good bunch of people willing to help.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2018, 08:48 »
Welcome to the DSG club.

It needs servicing every 4 years or 40k, I think its £189 for an oil and filter change. I think that MPG is not as good as a manual box even though on some DSG cars it claims to be better.  I think the hardest thing I had to do was learn to drive it with the paddles (first car with a DSG) but I have now mastered that and really enjoy taking 90% of the control.

Some tips, it will even in manual down shift and up shift (at the limits). The box can needs to warm up it can be a little slower when the oil is cold (not very long). ECO mode it de-clutches and freewheels, but I dont really like it (supposed to save fuel). You can still try and drive economically monitoring the road coniditions and taking your foot off the gas and coasting (in or eco or not).
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2018, 13:55 »
You will certainly enjoy it conjunction with the Active Cruse Control when you are in slow moving or stop/start traffic - its a real bonus in those situations.

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2018, 15:04 »
Thanks for the replies.

Dummy question but how do I tell if it has ACC or not?

Thanks

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2018, 17:53 »
Look under the front number plate and you will see a small square recess (about 4 inches wide from memory - thats the radar sensor proving it has it. Only a few early demo cars did not have it btw.

7.5 Golf has the sensor embedded in the front circular VW badge so you will not see the recess on new cars.

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2018, 21:26 »
Oh... the thing that looks a bit like a camera? :D

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2018, 08:24 »
Kind of - its a flatish black plastic plate in a recess in the front grille.