Author Topic: Black Friday Goodies for 7/7.5?  (Read 13019 times)

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Black Friday Goodies for 7/7.5?
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2017, 12:28 »
I was thinking of getting myself OBDEleven. Trouble is, I'm in an all-Apple devices house. Anyone see any deals for a cheap, none too fancy android tablet?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2017, 12:31 »
I was thinking of getting myself OBDEleven. Trouble is, I'm in an all-Apple devices house. Anyone see any deals for a cheap, none too fancy android tablet?

I was in the same situation as you being an Apple user, so purchased a Amazon Fire Tablet, now reduced to £29.99.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J90O0N4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had to manually add the Google app store, but this was easy enough to do (followed some instructions on YouTube).

« Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 12:35 by 7MAT »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2017, 12:56 »

I was in the same situation as you being an Apple user, so purchased a Amazon Fire Tablet, now reduced to £29.99.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J90O0N4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had to manually add the Google app store, but this was easy enough to do (followed some instructions on YouTube).

Oh interesting, so that is actually definitely possible? I had read mixed reports on whether the Amazon tablets would work - many seems to say they don't.!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2017, 13:07 »
When I bought OBDeleven a few months back, I just got a cheapo Acer tablet (all Apple here to) and does the job. Considered the Amazon Fire tablet but lots of reports it wouldn’t work, but if it does that’s great, being so cheap.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2017, 13:13 »

Oh interesting, so that is actually definitely possible? I had read mixed reports on whether the Amazon tablets would work - many seems to say they don't.!

Yes its definitely possible ...

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 23 November 2017, 13:38 »
I just bought a used Nexus 7 tablet.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 23 November 2017, 14:10 »

Yes its definitely possible ...

Good stuff. From a bit of googling it looks like its straightforward enough. I might take a punt on one so, even if it doesn't work its not a total waste, they're a nice little tablet for cheap.

Offline glorioso2299

• Not said much yet
  • LOVING Father , Sport&History NUT ,PROUD GTI owner
« Reply #17 on: 23 November 2017, 19:33 »
OBd11 does seem like a cool little gimmick but is it really wort while ....all youtube posts focus on the tail lights blinking and sh!t LOL...i mean any serious cool mods that will impact the driver experience ? I know its not a fortune but all in all between a new or used android tablet and the device 100 ...50 more and you get a pedal box that gives you a tangible experience ...also if dealers can pick up on mods such as remaps etc would they be able to see obd11 mods and potentially claim youv'e messed with the ecu etc ...sorry might be a dumb question but feedback and experiences on the above would be great to hear!
7.5 GTI  DSG White Silver

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 23 November 2017, 21:24 »
OBd11 does seem like a cool little gimmick but is it really wort while ....all youtube posts focus on the tail lights blinking and sh!t LOL...i mean any serious cool mods that will impact the driver experience ? I know its not a fortune but all in all between a new or used android tablet and the device 100 ...50 more and you get a pedal box that gives you a tangible experience ...also if dealers can pick up on mods such as remaps etc would they be able to see obd11 mods and potentially claim youv'e messed with the ecu etc ...sorry might be a dumb question but feedback and experiences on the above would be great to hear!

Killing the auto start/stop and the soundaktor make it worthwhile. The rest is just a bit of fun mainly but some things are useful.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 23 November 2017, 22:44 »
Awesome GTi have some decent deals on. VWR springs down to 175 which ain't bad.