Author Topic: Software update on car....will it affect my remap?  (Read 8015 times)

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
Software update on car....will it affect my remap?
« on: 23 October 2017, 18:12 »
I think this is probably a stupid question but I have a service booked in a few weeks and VW have said there is a software update needed for the parking brake.

Does this interfere with my revo stage 1 map? I would doubt it will but I’m curious anyway.

Anyone know?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Software update on car....will it affect my remap?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2017, 09:04 »
I don't think its that component that they will flash with new code. There are a number of distinct modules with code on the canbus, not just one.

The map will be on the engine ECU module.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2017, 20:18 »
I think this is probably a stupid question but I have a service booked in a few weeks and VW have said there is a software update needed for the parking brake.

Does this interfere with my revo stage 1 map? I would doubt it will but I’m curious anyway.

Anyone know?

Are you planning on leaving the stage 1 map on your car when it goes in then?

My REVO dealer told be to bring mine in before it goes in for its annual service so he could flash the stock map on it and then reflash the stage 1 after the service...
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline MikeP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2017, 21:49 »
I’d strongly advise you to have the car flashed back to stock before taking the car into the dealer. The VW diagnostic system can detect any changes to the software from standard. This is then updated by the VW central system and a record created that non-standard software was found on the vehicle. That could impact any future warranty claim.

As a Revo dealer, I accept that customer cars will need to be flashed multiple times to keep the warranty intact. Generally I make no charge to my customers for this, as it’s good customer service. But I can’t speak for other dealers.

Hope this helps.

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2017, 08:50 »
Hmm interesting guys, thanks for the input. I’ll go see my Revo guy and see what he says.

I thought even if put back to stock you can still tell it’s been mapped anyway? I’m aware it’ll affect the warranty but I was happy to accept this as I don’t foresee any issues with the engine going pop with just a stage 1. My Revo guy said the engines are really solid with this power output.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2017, 11:06 »
Makes no difference if flashed back to normal or left with the map on it will still show the TD1 code showing the ECU has been overwritten. For most warranty work VW UK asks them to check for it before giving authorisation to be given.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2017, 13:09 »
Makes no difference if flashed back to normal or left with the map on it will still show the TD1 code showing the ECU has been overwritten. For most warranty work VW UK asks them to check for it before giving authorisation to be given.

They still have to prove that the map was the main reason for the problem before they refuse to cover the warranty.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2017, 14:22 »

They still have to prove that the map was the main reason for the problem before they refuse to cover the warranty.

I am pretty sure they are in no obligation of proving anything to anyone if you request warranty on powertrain items and your car is flagged. They can and will simply deny it and good-luck fighting them arguing it was not the extra load that caused it but their design. Even though I would love it to be the case, manufacturers are not providing warranty based on a per-case failure analysis (for example a blown turbo) that will conclude whether it was under-designed or mis-used. The only condition that needs to be met is that the hardware has not been tampered with full-stop. This works the other way round though although it's less frequent: If you can mis-use it while still being completely stock then they have to cover you regardless.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2017, 14:24 by scanesare »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2017, 15:37 »

I am pretty sure they are in no obligation of proving anything to anyone if you request warranty on powertrain items and your car is flagged. They can and will simply deny it and good-luck fighting them arguing it was not the extra load that caused it but their design. Even though I would love it to be the case, manufacturers are not providing warranty based on a per-case failure analysis (for example a blown turbo) that will conclude whether it was under-designed or mis-used. The only condition that needs to be met is that the hardware has not been tampered with full-stop. This works the other way round though although it's less frequent: If you can mis-use it while still being completely stock then they have to cover you regardless.

Been there and done it, they refused to cover a broken driveshaft because I had the car remapped along with some other mods. Quick letter from my solicitor to VW UK asking them to proved that the modifications were the cause of the failure. They obviously couldn't as we knew and the work was covered along with a goodwill gesture to cover my solicitor costs.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2017, 00:01 »
Been there and done it, they refused to cover a broken driveshaft because I had the car remapped along with some other mods. Quick letter from my solicitor to VW UK asking them to proved that the modifications were the cause of the failure. They obviously couldn't as we knew and the work was covered along with a goodwill gesture to cover my solicitor costs.

Well very good for you but it still doesn't mean this will be the case for every other failure, I think you were quite lucky in that occasion for whatever reason VW UK did not decide to take this further. For example, it can be that they were aware of some bad shafts  out there and did not want to give more publicity but try a blown engine or turbo and I'm afraid you wouldn't have the same luck. There were (are?) bad turbos in the earlier MK7 GTI and R and VW was very much aware of them and replacing failed ones under warranty but not on mapped cars even though the map had nothing to do with that. People have also reported warranty rejections on far less power-train related items because of remaps so again, I think you were rather fortunate.