Author Topic: mk7 paint finish  (Read 1514 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
mk7 paint finish
« on: 18 October 2017, 20:51 »
My white mk6 had slight orange peel on the doors and some dust debris above the windscreen stuck in the paint.

My mk7 is just as bad if not worse for orange peel but as it is red it is easier to see imperfections. At least all the edges are caught on the mk7 though. Paint on bumpers appears just as thin as in the mk6 though.

The mk6 had missed edges where the rear number plate lights are and in door jambs and under th bonnet.

Mk7 also has a bit of debris in the paint above the windscreen which is so bloody annoying. The body is cleaned twice before paint and there’s a squad of factory workers that inspect the car after paint etc and they allow this?

Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: mk7 paint finish
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2017, 21:12 »
I find paint thickness no problem, between myself and a selection of myopic drivers, my TR car has visited the bodyshop a few times now and around 50% of panels have extra paint on them :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2017, 21:31 »
I think on the body the paint is too thick which is why you see the orange peel
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 21:58 »
Orange peel is the lovely (not) result of factory applied modern water based automotive paints.  You have to learn to love it or at least tolerate it, or have the car wet sanded which is the only way to be rid of it, and that’s not for the fainthearted! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 22:15 »
Paint too thick I wish, if anything it,s the opposite. Probably the lacquer. Whatever it's pants.
Bring back cellelouse !
One of the areas VW seriously need to improve on.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.