Author Topic: Blow drying  (Read 5904 times)

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
Blow drying
« on: 09 October 2017, 21:53 »
Hi,

I was just looking into if it was better to blow dry my car than using the pat drying technique that I use currently.

Just wondering if anyone uses a leaf blower or blaster and effective they are?
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Blow drying
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2017, 22:32 »
Hi,

I was just looking into if it was better to blow dry my car than using the pat drying technique that I use currently.

Just wondering if anyone uses a leaf blower or blaster and effective they are?

I have Metrovac Vac n Blo which is a hoover and an air dryer (using separate isolated sections for each).

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/metro-vac-vac-n-blow/prod_1090.html

It's a great bit of kit for both functions.  I did a review of it shortly after buying it.  I don't use it every wash but when I do, it gets the majority of standing water clear (after final open ended hose rinse) and then jst dab last drops with a microfibre towel.  The vacuum function is superb.  Review here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276759.0
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2017, 22:52 »
Blowing dry is probably the best way to dry a car without risking damage being inflicted.

First drying stage for me is to ‘sheet’ off any water from the washing / final rinsing with an open ended hose to get rid of most of any water. I then use a Metro Vac Sidekick Blaster for touchless drying to blow my car dry, followed up with good quality drying towels to pat dry any remaining droplets not removed with the Sidekick Blaster. The Sidekick Blaster is also good for getting rid of water from those annoying water traps like the mirror housings, grille, wheels around the bolt covers, number plate surrounds.

With a little practice, I’ve found the Sidekick Blaster is quite effective at blowing off the water. I’ve found it works best if your car has a good layer of wax or sealant protection on so the water beads blow away more easily.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2017, 12:39 »
I've got a Metro Vac and Blow which is good for blowing water out of door shuts and other crevices, but it can be a bit small for the large flat areas. With autumn coming on, I bought an Ego Power+ cordless leaf blower which doubles as a car dryer and works much better on the large areas, but it's bit expensive if you don't have a lot of leaves to shift. Keep in mind you'll get best results if you are using filtered water for your final rinse or you may get water spots.

But - I'm convinced nothing will ever stop that last drip from the wing mirrors running down the side of the door!  :angry:

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2017, 08:54 »
If I’m feeling lazy or in a rush or I’m doing a touch less wash in the winter (snow foam & then blast of citrus wash) I use my petrol leaf blower to dry the car & it does a good job

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2017, 15:57 »
Word of warning:

I was doing a maintenance wash this morning and a shower started just as I was doing the final hosing down. I drove the car into the garage to dry it off and used my leaf blower to get rid of the worst of the water. A few minutes later when the shower stopped, I drove the car back outside to dry the remaining water off with towels. Aaargh! Everything was covered in fine grey dust! My garage has an unsealed concrete floor and I can only assume that the blower was lifting dust off the floor and blowing it all over the car. Fortunately, it all seemed to lift off easily as I did the pat-dry outside.

So, note to self, do all blow drying outside! Especially as that was the first maintenance wash after I'd done a full decon, polish, seal and wax.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2017, 21:21 »
I've got a Metro Vac and Blow which is good for blowing water out of door shuts and other crevices, but it can be a bit small for the large flat areas. With autumn coming on, I bought an Ego Power+ cordless leaf blower which doubles as a car dryer and works much better on the large areas, but it's bit expensive if you don't have a lot of leaves to shift. Keep in mind you'll get best results if you are using filtered water for your final rinse or you may get water spots.

But - I'm convinced nothing will ever stop that last drip from the wing mirrors running down the side of the door!  :angry:
You're not wrong there, it pisses me off every time :angry:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2017, 11:48 »
As most people already have a vacuum cleaner, save yourself a small fortune and purchase a dog/pet blower off eBay.

Something like this works perfectly for drying your car and is what I now use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2800W-Cat-Dog-Pet-Hair-Dryer-Blaster-Blower-Heater-Grooming-Hairdryer-/322097902779?epid=531350479&hash=item4afe87f4bb:g:b5IAAOSwA3dYJDqm

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline KS Cars

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2017, 22:21 »
As most people already have a vacuum cleaner, save yourself a small fortune and purchase a dog/pet blower off eBay.

Something like this works perfectly for drying your car and is what I now use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2800W-Cat-Dog-Pet-Hair-Dryer-Blaster-Blower-Heater-Grooming-Hairdryer-/322097902779?epid=531350479&hash=item4afe87f4bb:g:b5IAAOSwA3dYJDqm

I just use the crevice tool. Stick a strip of insulation tape around the end and you are good to go. 

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2017, 18:23 »
I've just ordered a "Bigboi" (no, stop it!) dryer from Ultimate Finish.

I'll let you know.