Author Topic: Another stolen GTI  (Read 23446 times)

Offline grahamjenks

• Not said much yet
Re: Another stolen GTI
« Reply #90 on: 23 October 2017, 19:40 »
Out of interest, what happens between now and arrival of any new car? Does insurance cover you for a hire car?

Just thinking of new order lead times - can't see insurance been happy to cover 3-6 months because you ordered something new.
GTI 7.5 Manual Tornado Red - On Order - due any day!

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #91 on: 23 October 2017, 20:01 »
Out of interest which company did you use for your GAP insurance?
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 23 October 2017, 21:00 »
Just wanted to give an update.

The NIP was quashed without any problems. Got a letter from the Police saying if I have any more come through then to drop them a line and they will sort it out.  :wink:

Car has not been recovered - probably spread all over the country by now! Insurance company has agreed to payout and offered top market value for the car which was a nice surprise and the GAP insurance have just confirmed they will be covering the full amount back to invoice price.

Now.... what car to buy next.... torn between another GTI PP but the facelift model or an Audi A3 Quattro Sportback  :undecided:

Fantastic news, you're right about the gap it is the main thing that should be bought by every one buying a car.

As for the last paragraph, don't be stupid :grin: it has to be a GTi
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #93 on: 23 October 2017, 21:05 »
Out of interest, what happens between now and arrival of any new car? Does insurance cover you for a hire car?

Provision of a courtesy car isn’t always automatic under insurers motor insurance policies; with some insurers it can be an optional add-on. So, if it is an option and the policyholder hasn’t bought it, then they wouldn’t get a courtesy car at all. Worth anyone checking their policy to see if they have have this cover if it’s important to them.

Where a policyholder does have courtesy car / hire car cover and their car is stolen, it is usual for most insurers to place a limit on the number of days they will provide a courtesy / hire car - typically 14 days or until the claim is settled, whichever is the sooner.

Just thinking of new order lead times - can’t see insurance been happy to cover 3-6 months because you ordered something new.

They won’t - once an insurer has settled the claim for a stolen / unrecovered vehicle, they have no further obligation to provide a courtesy / hire car; their policyholder is in possession of the claim payment so is in a position to get a replacement car.

If I was in this position and didn’t have a second car I could use, I’d buy an old banger to tide me over until my new car was delivered.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #94 on: 23 October 2017, 21:44 »

Just thinking of new order lead times - can't see insurance been happy to cover 3-6 months because you ordered something new.

As others have pointed out it depends what you cover you have on your insurance policy. A courtesy car was extra for me so I didn't bother and it would've been for a max of 28 days. Currently I am carless until I either get a brand new or nearly new one.

Out of interest which company did you use for your GAP insurance?

I went with VW's own which, at the time, was by Global Insurance Management. At the time I was quoted £575 for 3 year cover on a return to invoice but I told them I could get one online cheaper - so they gave me their GAP insurance for the ALA online price.... £100. So a £9k payout for £100, now that ain't bad  :laugh:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #95 on: 24 October 2017, 09:09 »
Now.... what car to buy next.... torn between another GTI PP but the facelift model or an Audi A3 Quattro Sportback  :undecided:

You'll miss all the toys if you get the A3... unless you've got another 10k to chuck in for Quattro and the toys.

You'll find the 7.5 PP quite a change tbh.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #96 on: 25 October 2017, 06:46 »
Quite a change from a 7 pp? Some different lights, a digital dash and 10bhp. Not exactly that much of a change  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #97 on: 25 October 2017, 08:56 »
Well, my 7 to 7.5 change felt quite different... I guess it depends on what you spend your day looking at.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC