Author Topic: A year on...  (Read 17340 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: A year on...
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2017, 20:38 »
The soundaktor is the single worse thing about the GTI. 
I disconnected it a week into ownership.
Why anyone puts up with it is a mystery to me.

Careful now, you don't want to upset the soundaktor fans :whistle:

I still rather like it :embarrassed:
You should be ashamed of yourself :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2017, 20:43 »
I'm rightly ashamed of myself in just so many ways....

I shall put my soundaktor on full blast to annoy you when I pass Manchester on Friday :kiss:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2017, 21:16 »
I'm forever in Comfort mode for the least rattle, in Sport it sounds like the bloody thing isn't bolted in.  It's on the to-do list, may as well take a look at that myself as I can sound deaden in there if need be.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2017, 21:22 »
It's a 10 minute job to physically disconnect the thing
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2017, 21:38 »
It is, but occasionally I like to kid myself that it actually sounds somewhat lively.  OH's Mini sounds twice as good without any trickery.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2017, 22:04 »
brettblade, you have a few issues there, creaky door seals is easily sorted and common to more than VW, the rattle and the suspension noise needs to be referred to your dealer for rectification, but, can you report any positives? I have creaky doors (haven't got round to sorting that yet despite them being really annoying and having the oil to sort it...) and rattles on occasion here and there but I love the car, it has personality and liveliness with great comfort and performance. It looks superb and I like that there are upgrades possible that may or may not improve it but at least they make the car interesting and a project afterall, any car will get you around but you choose a GTI, GTD or R because you want them so surely there must be something about it that gets you going?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2017, 09:09 »
I'm sure you'll find some Mini issues soon enough, they aren't exactly known for trouble free motoring. Sounds like you are comparing a brand new car to a year old one.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2017, 09:26 »
I'm sure you'll find some Mini issues soon enough, they aren't exactly known for trouble free motoring. Sounds like you are comparing a brand new car to a year old one.

I've had the rattle since day one, I actually had more rattles when I picked it up but something has settled somewhere and the one behind the clocks (apparently common) went away after a couple of months.  Knowing my luck I have a Friday afternoon car.   :grin:

I wasn't expecting to like the Mini as much as I do, it's genuinely a very well put together car and in a different league to the Minis of a few years ago.  Wouldn't swap, mind, but it is eye opening nonetheless - if you had asked me a month ago I wouldn't have even considered anything non-VAG.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2017, 09:48 »
brettblade, you have a few issues there, creaky door seals is easily sorted and common to more than VW, the rattle and the suspension noise needs to be referred to your dealer for rectification, but, can you report any positives? I have creaky doors (haven't got round to sorting that yet despite them being really annoying and having the oil to sort it...) and rattles on occasion here and there but I love the car, it has personality and liveliness with great comfort and performance. It looks superb and I like that there are upgrades possible that may or may not improve it but at least they make the car interesting and a project afterall, any car will get you around but you choose a GTI, GTD or R because you want them so surely there must be something about it that gets you going?

Plenty of kit, handles great - don't get me wrong there are lots of positives too.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2017, 09:57 »
The big downside to the Mini for me is the bloody offset pedal position and a seat which I can't get just right for me.

Makes for painful driving - I had one a few months back for a weekend to test.

The rest of the car I loved but I drive 20k a year and would need surgery if I tried that in a Mini.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC