Author Topic: Thoughts on DSG R  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Thoughts on DSG R
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2017, 15:22 »

I think the key with DSG is to get some better paddles as the stock ones are just too small, S2T or VWR seem the pick of the bunch

Second that about paddles wigit. Oem paddle shifters are pitiful and simply not conducive to enjoyable manual shifting. S2T replacement shifters change all that. Pricy but superb quality and a joy to use.  After the pedal box, the best change I made on my R, and wish I'd done it on my first or at least second dsg Golf and not waited so long.

From this

To this

And THE easiest things to fit. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276214.0

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2017, 18:45 »
That was my thought about the manual change, very playstation like, so easy and quick. Still haven't got to try any more cars , may be off to jct600 Sheffield on Wednesday, anybody had any dealings with them? Thanks Booth11 they look better, may be a purchase in the future!

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2017, 20:00 »
How much are the new paddles?
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2017, 20:08 »

From what I can gather on google they look to be around £200 or $265, ouch! They look the part though.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2017, 20:23 »

S2Ts?  It very much depends on which style (there are 3) and the finish you go for.  Prices here. http://www.s2tpp.com/VW.html  Plus factor in shipping from the US.  I got mine with $50 discount as bought through a group buy on another forum.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2017, 14:09 »
The shape of the paddles on Booth11's car is what I have and for me perfect as they are very easy use, ridiculously easy to fit. I use my DSG 90% of the time in manual mode.

My wife does not have them on hers and I do miss them.

You can get cheaper stick on offerings but these feel nice to the touch.

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2017, 16:09 »
Tried a DSG R yesterday which didn't seem to have the same 'parp's after each upchange in race mode when using the paddles as the first car I tried. Is it normal for them to give you a parp in race mode, as this one didn't sound as good?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2017, 17:23 »
Have modern cars become so dull and overly competent that the defining feature of a Golf automatic is how loud it can backfire going past the local drive-thru on the bypass?

Christ I'm getting old. I thought whoosh dump valves were bad enough for scraping the barrel.
I think I'm going to get an Aygo and take up stamp collecting.
I wonder what makes people want to bang their head against a wall on stamp collecting forums?

Mind you, I was out for an evening wander with my son a couple days ago when a Lamborghini convertible went past us and started to slow for the speed camera. Now that was a noise. Growling, roaring and popping. Proper aural drama.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2017, 18:26 »
Reference those giant paddles, never quite understood why? The only advantage I can see is changing gear on roundabouts. Since the steering wheel is so superior to any other I've experienced and the rack (lock to lock) so bloody poor, I either have hand(s) in thumb cut-outs perfect for std paddles or drive hands free.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2017, 18:43 »

I wonder what makes people want to bang their head against a wall on stamp collecting forums?

Self adhesive stamps.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual