Author Topic: Infotainment system turned off!  (Read 10288 times)

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
Infotainment system turned off!
« on: 24 June 2017, 13:53 »
I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem to me.  On the display between the rev counter and the speedo I keep getting a message "Infotainment system switched off."  And of course the infotainmnet screen is blank and I cannot turn it on with the knob.

It does not happen all the time - it seems when I come to the Car in a morning.  Later in the day the infotainment seems to work perfectly and the message disappears. 

Had the happened to others?

Thanks, 

The car is  a 2016 Golf GTD.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Infotainment system turned off!
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 14:15 »
I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem to me.  On the display between the rev counter and the speedo I keep getting a message "Infotainment system switched off."  And of course the infotainmnet screen is blank and I cannot turn it on with the knob.

It does not happen all the time - it seems when I come to the Car in a morning.  Later in the day the infotainment seems to work perfectly and the message disappears. 

Had the happened to others?

Thanks, 

The car is  a 2016 Golf GTD.

Will it not switch on if you press and hold the on/off button?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 14:54 »
You get that message on the MFD if the MFD is in a mode where its trying to display something from the MIB unit - Sat Nav, Phone, Media track playing etc.

Does the message go away after a few seconds?

If you leave the MFD on something like speed or fuel range etc, you won't get the message - not that the message is actually a problem
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 15:26 »
Thanks for the replies -  there is no response to the on/off knob on the left hand side of the infotainment large display.  I have only had the car a month, so not sure if I was not seeing something obvious. The strange thing is that I can park the car up in the day and it works perfectly when I return - no "infotainment switched off" message in the MFD and sat nav, CD and driving data all work perfectly.  Cheers, 

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 18:44 »
So basically the infotainment unit doesn't switch on at all?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 19:03 »
Hi,  yes it does sometimes.  I can go to the car in the morning and I have message in the MFD saying infotainment system is switched off and main infotainment screen in the dash is blank.  I try and turn it on with left hand knob on the infotainment and  nothing happens.  I drive the car in the day and park up. When I return, sometimes, the infotainment main screen is alive and well when I start the car and I  can access all the functions of driving data, sat nav, etc.   Cheers,

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 23:31 »
Hi,  yes it does sometimes.  I can go to the car in the morning and I have message in the MFD saying infotainment system is switched off and main infotainment screen in the dash is blank.  I try and turn it on with left hand knob on the infotainment and  nothing happens.  I drive the car in the day and park up. When I return, sometimes, the infotainment main screen is alive and well when I start the car and I  can access all the functions of driving data, sat nav, etc.   Cheers,

I've had the dead screen of doom, if you press and hold the on button for some time it may reboot (ie not just press but keep it down for 10+ seconds) worked for me :smiley: Otherwise I think you are destined for a dealer visit.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2017, 13:30 »
Basically you have a fault with the unit. Others have had faulty ones before but its not that common I'd say.

Take it in and they will probably swap it out.

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2017, 17:27 »
Thanks for the advice.   I have tried the 10 second reset and it seemed to work, but the unit was working when I tried it.  I will see what happens when the car has been stood for a few hours or overnight.  Fingers crossed it did the trick.  Regards. 

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2017, 11:01 »
hi, sorry about hijacking your thread for a moment. but with these new systems are you able to watch video from your phones? thanks.