Author Topic: Mk7 buying advice  (Read 16501 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Mk7 buying advice
« Reply #30 on: 20 August 2017, 23:23 »
I'm resurrecting my old thread.

I'm finding it hard to find a car in the south that meets my spec:

GTI, 64 or 15 plate, 5 door, Performance Pack, 5 door, Black or Carbon Grey with 18" wheels (not 19"), with up to 30k miles, with no options, for £19k-20k, pref with 1 owner.

It seems most performance pack cars have 19" wheels.  Maybe there is just a lack of cars the moment, it being summer and people aren't changing cars, and are on holiday. Theres a few private sale ones, but they most have loads of owners!  The dealer cars seems expensive for what they are IMHO.

There's a very nice R 2014 5dr, Dsg, lapis, sat Nav ,28k miles fish on auto trader. Asking 19995 reckon 19000 pos. Why not an R over a PP any day, believe me. At similar money.
It's been mentioned many times on here....not everyone wants an R, despite it being arguably the better all round car.
I always wanted a Golf GTI, so I bought one. If I'd wanted an R, I would have bought one of them instead.

Mate, I've had 6 generations of GTI and my R is the best, words can't describe really. My better half has a mk7 GTI which is great,but believe me If you really had the choice , no contest not just the power but the grip, traction is something else. Maybe I have a good one, all I know is I could have bought a much more expensive car, name it, but the R is all anyone would need, lottery win or not. :wink:

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 21 August 2017, 06:54 »
I had the choice and still chose a pp gti. As good as the R was I just felt the gti was a better car for me so not everyone goes for an R  :wink:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #32 on: 21 August 2017, 07:17 »
I'm resurrecting my old thread.

I'm finding it hard to find a car in the south that meets my spec:

GTI, 64 or 15 plate, 5 door, Performance Pack, 5 door, Black or Carbon Grey with 18" wheels (not 19"), with up to 30k miles, with no options, for £19k-20k, pref with 1 owner.

It seems most performance pack cars have 19" wheels.  Maybe there is just a lack of cars the moment, it being summer and people aren't changing cars, and are on holiday. Theres a few private sale ones, but they most have loads of owners!  The dealer cars seems expensive for what they are IMHO.

There's a very nice R 2014 5dr, Dsg, lapis, sat Nav ,28k miles fish on auto trader. Asking 19995 reckon 19000 pos. Why not an R over a PP any day, believe me. At similar money.
It's been mentioned many times on here....not everyone wants an R, despite it being arguably the better all round car.
I always wanted a Golf GTI, so I bought one. If I'd wanted an R, I would have bought one of them instead.

Mate, I've had 6 generations of GTI and my R is the best, words can't describe really. My better half has a mk7 GTI which is great,but believe me If you really had the choice , no contest not just the power but the grip, traction is something else. Maybe I have a good one, all I know is I could have bought a much more expensive car, name it, but the R is all anyone would need, lottery win or not. :wink:
I sure you believe you are right but it doesn't make it so.
I really did have the choice but still chose to get a GTI, as hard is it obviously is for you to get your head round :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline ratty_uk2000

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 21 August 2017, 11:17 »
I think the GTI and R are different enough mechanically and certainly in perception and associations, to appeal to different kinds of buyers.

For myself; I could have afforded an R, but like the understated GTI all-rounder because I don't need or will ever use the R performance.
On order: 7.5 230 PS, 3 door, DSG.  Pearl black with heated screen, Dynaudio & reverse camera.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2017, 14:22 »
I think the GTI and R are different enough mechanically and certainly in perception and associations, to appeal to different kinds of buyers.

For myself; I could have afforded an R, but like the understated GTI all-rounder because I don't need or will ever use the R performance.

Fair enough, understated blimey? I personally think the 7.5 R is as or more understated than the equivalent GTI. The point I'm making is I have both on the driveway so unlike others here have the opportunity to use both and therefore can make a definitive judgement, as any car tester sure it's down to personal opinion.
When you say afford, depends if one is a cash purchaser or lease, the cash price I paid was very close to a similar specced PP, a no brainer. IMO!!!!
If the R didn't exist I'd have a PP for sure. :wink:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2017, 14:40 »

Fair enough, understated blimey? I personally think the 7.5 R is as or more understated than the equivalent GTI. The point I'm making is I have both on the driveway so unlike others here have the opportunity to use both and therefore can make a definitive judgement, as any car tester sure it's down to personal opinion.
When you say afford, depends if one is a cash purchaser or lease, the cash price I paid was very close to a similar specced PP, a no brainer. IMO!!!!
If the R didn't exist I'd have a PP for sure. :wink:

I don't doubt what you say and if I'd have test driven an R then perhaps I wouldn't have been able to resist but for me, one look at the GTI tartan seats and red interior leds and I just had to have it, very desirable plus I hadn't had a GTI before and felt the need to fix that and see what the fuss was all about. I very rarely get to drive mine in a manner that ever tests the performance let alone that with an R so to pay daily at the pumps without the benefit of the extra power didn't make sense. Grip wise, the GTI is mega, the only exception being occasionally traction off the line in the wet but tbh, where I live that is rarely an issue with traffic and cameras.... Would I ever buy an R though? I certainly wouldn't rule one out, maybe next time :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 25 August 2017, 15:40 »
I've seen this, a bit above my price bracket, but has nice extras like DCC and leather, but no Sat Nav.

I couldn't care less about having Nav, but what about resale, is it worth having for the fact might be easier to sell on with in built Nav?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708168386549
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 25 August 2017, 16:43 »
I think that car's biggest problem is the price, £21.5k for a 2014 model? That sounds a bit excessive. DCC and leather (if you like it, I prefer the tartan and the 'leather' afaik isn't 100% leather anyway, large portions of faux) are as you say nice but really not essential, lack of satnav wouldn't put me off but might others. I'd say wait a couple of weeks for all the trade-ins to show up and get something newer for the same or less.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 25 August 2017, 16:57 »
Cheers watts, yeah I was planning on waiting until early Sept, and pref get 2015 with keyles and Nav as standard.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 25 August 2017, 17:00 »
Cheers watts, yeah I was planning on waiting until early Sept, and pref get 2015 with keyles and Nav as standard.

Sounds sensible, any other extras will be a bonus!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.