Author Topic: Number of Clubsport Edition 40s Imported into the UK  (Read 16426 times)

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
For the CS enthusiasts amongst us, yesterday I sent the following email to VWUK:

"Hi

Freedom of Information Request.

When the VW Golf GTI Clubsport Edition 40 was announced, your press release of 6/4/2016 confirmed that there would be no more than 1,000 examples made available to UK buyers - http://www.vwpress.co.uk/release-2612.htm  .

Now that production of this model has been completed, I would be very grateful to know the total number actually imported for UK customers.

Many thanks."

​First thing this morning I received the following response:

"Thank you for your recent enquiry to Volkswagen UK.

As this Golf GTI Clubsport Model is special edition, volume was limited to 1,000 units, as such this was based on a first-come, first-served basis.

I can confirm the figure of this model sold was 1,000 units in the UK. We would not be able to comment on the European Markets, In order to obtain this information I would recommend contacting them directly via the link below;

http://en.volkswagen.com/en.html

I hope this information proves useful and thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Kind regards"

So it looks like the full 1,000 were imported, although so far, I have no knowledge of any numbered plaques beginning with an 8 or a 9.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Number of Clubsport Edition 40s Imported into the UK
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2017, 21:55 »
How come cars in Ireland didn't have a number plaque?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2017, 10:13 »
Freedom of Information Request

Probably the 4 words I hate the most being a Council employee. People have too much time on their hands

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2017, 10:36 »
I may be wrong, but the response from VW sounds very much like it came from the marketing department.

1000 examples made their way to the Uk and were made available on a first come first served basis?

I got the impression that many CS were unsold and registered by the dealers to sell as pre owned to clear the stock before the 7.5 arrives in more serious numbers.

The 2006 Ed30 was supposed to be limited to 1500 UK examples, there are cars with plaques indicating 2000+ cars were registered.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were <1000 CS/Ed40's that came to the UK, there are certainly less than that number registered with private owners at the moment.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2017, 15:36 »
87 of them currently in the VW used network
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2017, 16:31 »
I would be very interested to hear about or see pictures of plaques numbered 800 upwards.

I agree that the return email is not very convincing.  It does sound like someone has used the press release to concoct a reply and not properly checked actual production numbers.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2017, 18:30 »
It almost looks as though VW UK commissioned circa 1000 and the ones that didn't get a customer order were kept to a fairly basic spec and sold off to dealers as showroom cars that subsequently had to be pre-reg'd before April.
Mine was one of those and ended up getting registered in late March. Probably the smaller dealers used them as staff cars and bigger dealers just dumped them on forecourts to make way for incoming facelifted cars.
Mine is numbered in the low 200's yet was one of the later registered cars. There's no obvious pattern to numbering, maybe with the exception of press fleet cars. The VW Driver road test car was 004.
I think with the attitude of a lot of dealers around the 'no discounts due to limited numbers' mixed with the closeness of price to the R which on the face of it offers better value for money (unless you're a die hard GTI enthusiast) equals a very limited take up on cars. Kind of reminds me of the Pirelli editions that sold in low numbers and ended up with many being sat on forecourts for months after the mk6 was released.

It'll be a good time to pick up a ClubSport over the next few months if you're not overly hung up on spec, sales managers will get twitchy with unsold ones sooner of later. They're great drivers cars and no doubt 3 door DSG's with buckets will be a reasonable investment longer term.

It will be intersting to see if there are any higher numbered cars around. Unfortunately a lot of members probably won't be on forums which is a shame.
Full credit to Trev for asking VW UK. Just a shame the email didn't land on someone remotely interested's desk. I guess as a company VW UK just see it as old news now.

I wonder what VW has up its sleeve for this year's Worthersee treffen show special.

« Last Edit: 16 May 2017, 18:32 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2017, 18:34 »

Probably the 4 words I hate the most being a Council employee. People have too much time on their hands

Amen to that.  Getting about 3 a week currently which means real work gets delayed.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2017, 19:37 »

Amen to that.  Getting about 3 a week currently which means real work gets delayed.

My son who works in finance in a similar public role would also agree.
However I'm sure VW HQ aren't working under the same conditions so just told Trev what they thought he wanted to hear. I doubt they spent more than five minutes on the request after rolling their eyes.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2017, 19:50 »
I'm wondering whether the 150 CSS are included in the numbers as far as VW UK are concerned.