Author Topic: Anyone modded GTI while still under warranty?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
Anyone modded GTI while still under warranty?
« on: 25 April 2017, 20:16 »
Well my GTI is under warranty for another 2.5 years plus i have 2 free services for the next 2 years.

I badly have the modding bug and really don't want to wait that long.

I want to lower it, change 18's to 19's, get a VWR R600 induction kit and eventually get a remap.

I'm guessing that engine mods are a bit risky in case something else happens and VW could use it to wriggle out of the warranty cover, and surely the same with changing springs.

Surely changing to 19's wouldn't invalidate anything?

Anyone risked modding whilst under warranty?

My other thoughts are just gather up the bits I'm after and then when the warranty has expired I'm ready to go, but thats such a long wait...

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
Re: Anyone modded GTI while still under warranty?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2017, 20:23 »
If you change the springs, you'll only invalidate warranty on suspension products. Wheels won't make any difference to warranty.

Worth investigating VWR products further as I'm sure these don't affect warranty.

You could always swap back to standard before visiting the dealer for any service / warranty work. That way they'll be none the wiser.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2017, 20:27 »

Changing to 19's might not invalidate your warranty but it will probably invalidate your insurance if you don't tell your insurance company. Your insurance policy will probably have a requirement in the small print to notify any modifications to your insurer.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2017, 10:07 »

Changing to 19's might not invalidate your warranty but it will probably invalidate your insurance if you don't tell your insurance company. Your insurance policy will probably have a requirement in the small print to notify any modifications to your insurer.

There's no requirement for your insurance company to tell the dealer about the mods though, the OP is questioning modding with warranty and not the insurance implications (I would assume this isn't the first time OP will be modifying a car).
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2017, 10:24 »
As mentioned above regarding modding or any alterations to the car as it came from the manufacturer does require your insurance company to be informed if they charge or not they require a record even options you pay for when ordering a vehicle they want the info and in some circumstances can charge accordingly what you have as apose to bog standard.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2017, 16:22 by gtiaps »
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2017, 12:20 »
Are you guys insurance salesman or something!? :grin:

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2017, 12:47 »
I think they are trying to be helpful - not everyone knows you must inform your insurer of any changes, its often overlooked.

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2017, 15:24 »
I know, I'm only saying it in jest. I'm surprised people don't know to tell insirance of any mods no matter how small. I've known since I modified my first car when 20 and that was over 15 years ago!

With the amount of people on the road being pulled over with no insurance these days nothing should surprise us really.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2017, 16:38 »
The first time you will find out that you aren't insured is when your car is inspected after a major prang.

They won't come round your house before then and demand to look over it.

The loss adjuster will look all over the wreckage and look for any possible reason to avoid paying out... and once they do this and decide you've got an uninsured vehicle, they will probably pass that over to the plod too...

Of course, you might even then get away with it, personally I'd sooner not take the risk of an uninsured accident and the points on my licence for the sake of ponying up a few quid after I tell them I've changed the exhaust or wheels or something.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2017, 16:55 »
The first time you will find out that you aren't insured is when your car is inspected after a major prang.

They won't come round your house before then and demand to look over it.

The loss adjuster will look all over the wreckage and look for any possible reason to avoid paying out... and once they do this and decide you've got an uninsured vehicle, they will probably pass that over to the plod too...

Of course, you might even then get away with it, personally I'd sooner not take the risk of an uninsured accident and the points on my licence for the sake of ponying up a few quid after I tell them I've changed the exhaust or wheels or something.

Not complying with the terms of notification of modifications does not cancel or void your insurance. As per the requirements of the Road Traffic Act you will still hold third party cover so the Plod have no cause to act.

What will happen though is that your insurer will remove any fully comprehensive cover leaving you with a very large repair bill to sort out. They will make good the third party and/or any road furniture issues as if you had complied fully.

In rare circumstances they may sue you for the amount paid out to a third party, however you will still, for the purposes of the law, be insured.