Author Topic: Missing Fog lights  (Read 53507 times)

Offline shadow2

• Just got here
Missing Fog lights
« on: 24 April 2017, 22:30 »
Just picked up a Mark 7.5 on Saturday and the front fog lights specified in the brochure are missing as VW didn't put them in during build  :sad:. Seems dealers and other customers have been complaining and I'm not alone. Anyone else in the same boat? The group my dealer is in has now realised that they have stock of cars at other branches in the group that are missing front fogs too. Waiting for VW to come back and tell us what they're going to do.

29.4.2017 still waiting for VW and dealer to get back with an offer / update. Just seen promotional info on Facebook for the PP version and the pictures show no front fogs. The downloaded brochure I have also shows the R doesn't have them as standard either.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2017, 21:56 by shadow2 »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Missing Fog lights
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2017, 22:47 »
It's been much discussed here already  :laugh:

Seems that VW UK "forgot", whether deliberately or not, to ask the factory to fit them to UK cars. There's no other logical explanation. They are fitted to GTI/D's in other markets such as here in Ireland.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2017, 22:54 »
LOL we've noticed.... in fact for weeks we've talked about nothing else but "fog-gate"

I'd be interested how your dealer is handling this.... are they actually doing anything?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2017, 23:29 »
If you pay for something then you expect to receive it.

It's obviously VW's mess up so I feel as the parts obviously already exist, then they should offer to retro-fit the fog lights. Either that or a partial refund is in order.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2017, 05:01 »
There will probably be something in the small print from VW UK along the lines of "we reserve the right to alter specification whenever we feel like it"

And I certainly can't see dealers compensating you out of their own pocket, especially if you got discount off the list price which ate into their margin on the car.

Having said that, if there's enough fuss kicked up then there could be a repeat of seatgate where R owners were given new cars to replace ones that had a slightly different shade of grey to the one shown on the configurator.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2017, 07:00 »
My GTD is about to land in the UK and is a Lease car from VW Fleet on a PCH.

Will be very interesting when we view the vehicle what they say if the Fogs are missing.  I know some will say "Meh,,,, they are only fog lights", but for me the whole of the front of the vehicles styling with the Horizontal vanes in front of the "fogs" is going to look strange.  Unless there is an open gap behind the vanes for brake cooling or similar, then what is the point ? Will just look silly.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2017, 07:10 »
There will probably be something in the small print from VW UK along the lines of "we reserve the right to alter specification whenever we feel like it"

And I certainly can't see dealers compensating you out of their own pocket, especially if you got discount off the list price which ate into their margin on the car.

Having said that, if there's enough fuss kicked up then there could be a repeat of seatgate where R owners were given new cars to replace ones that had a slightly different shade of grey to the one shown on the configurator.

I think the key is whether they have actually "altered" the specification, or whether this drops into a "mis-build" at the factory.  Hasn't every GTi/GTD been fitted with front fog lights ?  Also, if they are being fitted in other Countries would suggest this is a mis-build rather than a change in specification.

I think it would not be too difficult to have these retro-fitted as all wiring will be in place presumably. 
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2017, 09:03 »
I've taken the subject up with VW help on Twitter and they said its best to get further action by your dealer talking directly with VW UK - lets hope we get the fitting of fog lamps reinstated as I'm not ordering in principal yet as the GTD/GTI is not iconic without them!  Keep the pressure on guys.
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2017, 09:59 »

I think it would not be too difficult to have these retro-fitted as all wiring will be in place presumably.

I wouldn't bank on it. Something that sounds so trivial to retrofit often times is not. On the factory line, if a car isn't getting part "X" then it wouldn't be unusual for it to have very different wiring setup / BCM module, etc. Years ago, I'd have said yes, the wiring is probably there but these days I'd say not. It could be very cost prohibitive to retrofit them.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2017, 10:09 »
Just picked up a Mark 7.5 on Saturday and the front fog lights specified in the brochure are missing as VW didn't put them in during build  :sad:. Seems dealers and other customers have been complaining and I'm not alone. Anyone else in the same boat? The group my dealer is in has now realised that they have stock of cars at other branches in the group that are missing front fogs too. Waiting for VW to come back and tell us what they're going to do.

I have just taken delivery of a new, facelifted GTD, and as you say, it has no front fog lights. I have emailed VW UK, but have had no answer at the moment.
The issue has been commented on the forum many times recently, but I think it is not acceptable, and I'm going to write a formal letter of complaint to VW.
One other interesting note - the current UK brochure says that fog lights are included, so either VW UK have not corrected their mistake, or models ordered now will actually get them.
I think they will try and get out of it saying something like "brochure specs can change at any time, blah, blah ...", but where do you draw the line? No heated seats? 150PS engine instead of 184PS ?
It's a ridiculous situation. Please can people post any response they receive from VW.
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7