Author Topic: Front Gti number plate surround  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
Front Gti number plate surround
« on: 24 April 2017, 18:42 »
Hi guys I've noticed today that my front black number plate surround/mounting is cracked in 2 places on the top lip,don't know how this has happened so does anyone know how much a new part is and how easy to remove the fixings. Thanks for any info in advance.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Front Gti number plate surround
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2017, 21:27 »
I'd be interested to know how the number plate holder thing is mounted to the car because I'm thinking of removing mine and fitting a smaller front plate. I'm guessing that it is bolted to the front bumper and not mounded to it.

@Bigwod if I take mine off you can have it.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2017, 10:44 »
It's secured to the bumper with self-tapping screws. You'd have to drill them out. If you take it off, there'll be holes in the bumper.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2017, 12:20 »
The part is about £15 if you get it from your local TPS and it's held on with 5 plastic push fit clips. It's possible to reuse the existing ones but they are cheap and removing the centre part is a bit of a pain unless you push it into the bumper then its easy. All in it should be less than £20. I can't remember the part numbers but they will bring it up if you describe it to them.

If you want to remove it and put on a smaller plate then there will be four holes that will need filling and painting on the bumper, I was going to do that but ended up getting a short plate with a black surround from https://www.fourdotdesignerplates.co.uk/

Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2017, 12:32 »
I removed mine for a wolfsburg surround. easiest way was to pop in a screw a couple of turns then pull the plugs out with pliers. I took some pics to put on a thread in here but never got round to it.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2017, 09:02 »
Went and saw The team at Inchcape vw Telford and they have replaced the surround free of charge, they said they  couldn't do it under warranty at first  until i took them out to see it and then they saw the stress cracks on top of it and explaining to them that  i haven't hit anything  they agreed it could of been caused by unknown causes . Keep an eye out for stress  cracks CSS owners.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2017, 11:48 »

Bought one from dealer k, though not sure how damage on mine occurred, but top was split (wife denies hitting anything)

Part Number: V5G0 807 287 H9 B9 - S/O Bracket

Bought the fixing rivets too as its easy to lose the center pins as pop them through to release the tension on the rivet - VN 038 549 4 - Rivet (pack)

£24.20 inc VAT

If not seeking to replace like for like, then be careful as the holder is secured by the rivets directly to the bumper IE: Drilled holes.

Its a 10 min job but could be an hour if attempting to retrieve the rivet centers as they do pop right through into the engine tray - pay for new pack of rivets so much easier.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC