Author Topic: Honda regains Nurburgring Fwd record!  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Honda regains Nurburgring Fwd record!
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2017, 13:49 »
Honda in lap record shocker! Maybe they should send Fernando out in one of these at the next GP.

I'm sure it's great fun around a track but I can't imagine it'll be much fun to live with. It's also blindingly ugly to my eyes.
7.5 GTD

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2017, 14:05 »
The exhaust on that thing....  :sick:

The one in the middle is the anti lag pipe, looks a bit naff and would have looked better if it was ended someplace under the car.

I'm sure that anti-lag is not road legal. Rally cars are not allowed to use it on the road sections. The driver will always turn off the ALS switch at the end of each stage. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2017, 14:25 »
Interesting lack of comment in that article on it not being a production car, having seats and audio removed plus it's on track tyres. So other than that, totally fair.  :laugh:

The CSS is only "production" by virtue of them having made and sold a handful of them ;-)

If you upped the definition of "production" to something more real world like say a minimum of 10000 units (maybe more) then you'd be nearer the mark IMHO...

And I agree with others, the Civic Type R is not something I'd want to buy. Performance is one thing, but I still want it to look like a normal car not something from Mcdonald's car park on a friday night.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2017, 14:34 »
Regardless of whether it's a production model vs a special track model is slightly irrelevant. From a technical aspect of putting a FWD only car around the ring in that sort of time is very impressive (regardless of whether it beats the Golf or not).

But honestly, it's looks are something only a mother could love. TBH at my age (+50) it's what I like about the Golf. Be it the GTD, GTI, R or CS, you don't look a proper tool when driving it, it's pretty much class / gender and age irrevalent. If I had that Honda (at my age), I've have to drive around with the seat lowered and with a cap and shades on to prevent anyone seeing it was me.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2017, 19:33 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2017, 15:04 »
I quite like it.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2017, 15:46 »
Why is this nonsense making headlines?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2017, 16:27 »
Why is this nonsense making headlines?

Well if I was cynical, which obviously I'm not  :whistle: , i'd say it just gives motoring 'journalists' something to do and provides the latest must have thing for those who have four other sports cars on their drive, read Evo magazine and take it as gospel, and need to be in the latest greatest Nurburgring car with a pair of £400 sunglasses perched on their forehead whilst sat in a traffic jam...

Thankfully I'm not cynical and like to think all these fantastic developments will filter down to run of the mill production cars so we can smugly sit in traffic jams blissfully ignorant to the technology that may or may not have hidden below the body panels.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2017, 16:54 »
Having read about the latest fines for speeding coming into force today, you'd think they would be making cars slower :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2017, 18:39 »
I find this Nurburgring thing all a bit yawn to be honest and irrelevant in the real world.  Yes it's nice to claim to be the fastest but let's face it a white van driven without any care is faster than any other car in the real world if the driver wants to be a complete tool.. And not worry about his or her licence.

At least the golf is classy and good looking anyway..

Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2017, 20:24 »
feel a bit gutted that my CSS is now 2nd to a Honda Civic.