Author Topic: ACC sensor vs pheasant  (Read 5942 times)

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
ACC sensor vs pheasant
« on: 22 April 2017, 16:16 »
Hi, unfortunately last night I hit a pheasant and this morning I found that it had hit the acc sensor perfectly and thought I had lost the lot, but found the sensor still attached but layed on the lower spoiler. Has anyone had this happen to them and can advise the best way forward? Can you buy the housing from vw and then get it set up by them? Also the stop/start is showing error this morning, never done this before could it be connected. I disconnected the acc sensor unit so I could keep it safe, I didn't want to lose it. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Offline Mustabuster

• Not said much yet
Re: ACC sensor vs pheasant
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2017, 16:22 »
I believe the auto-stop start uses that sensor to detect the moving traffic so yes pulling the sensor out would affect it. You will need to get the sensor refitted and re-calibrated properly. I think it needs to know where dead centre is so that it knows it is looking in the right direction.
Jan '17: Golf mk7 GTI PP
5 dr, DSG, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago wheels.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2017, 18:11 »
Hi, unfortunately last night I hit a pheasant and this morning I found that it had hit the acc sensor perfectly and thought I had lost the lot, but found the sensor still attached but layed on the lower spoiler. Has anyone had this happen to them and can advise the best way forward? Can you buy the housing from vw and then get it set up by them? Also the stop/start is showing error this morning, never done this before could it be connected. I disconnected the acc sensor unit so I could keep it safe, I didn't want to lose it. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Yes you can buy the housing (trim piece) for the radar sensor be it the original round shaped sensor or the later square shaped sensor. You are talking about just a few pounds.

The trouble is that the cost of recalibrating the sensor, if it needs to be done, is not cheap.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2017, 18:18 »
VW Dealer in Lincoln quoted me £150 to calibrate sensor. I just hope that your sensor is undamaged...
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2017, 19:02 »
Thanks for the replies, it's the square shaped sensor and doesn't look to be damaged, I hope. I'll take a trip to the dealer and price some parts and calibration

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2017, 22:03 »
It happened to me twice, the first time was about 2 years ago on my 2014 GTI, luckly it only knocked the ACC radar housing out of place and I could find it inside the bumper, rattling on the plastic undertray. 3 of the 4 plastic clips that hold it in place were broken but I managed to glue it to the sensor and it worked like that just fine. The second time it happened on the 2016 GTI just a few weeks ago, unfortunately this time the pheasant was pretty big and it f***ed my lower honeycomb grille, the ACC radar housing and two plastic bits from inside the bumper that cover the AC pipes and the left side of the radiator. The pheasant was literally split in half, I spent 1 hour to pull out all the feathers and guts from inside the bumper.

Result: The radar housing was completely gone, couldn't find it in the bumper like the first time, the grille and the plastic bits inside on the radiator where all cracked and broken and the radar sensor itself was out of it's normal position (it has 3 plastic fixing points held in place with 3 bolts which are also used for calibration). The sensor itself was undamaged although I had the Front assist disabled error message on the MFD and the ACC was not working at all. When scanning with VCDS it showed 2 error codes relating to incorrect position of the sensor. I just wiggled it back into the 3 fixing points, it's literally a matter of pushing the sensor back in place and the error was gone after driving 10 miles and the ACC works again.

The housing is pretty cheap, around £5 quid, the part number for GTI/GTD is 5G0 907 225 A 9B9. You can order from any dealer or you can find it on ebay for around £8 as well.

Apart from this I had to order new honeycomb lower grille which was around £35 and the plastic bits inside the bumper were around £12. All in all it cost me £51 in parts. The labour was free as I took the bumper off and swapped the damaged grile and parts myself.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2017, 22:08 by GeoBog »
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2017, 20:09 »
Thanks, I've been to the dealer and ordered the cover and the housing which came to £30 but they said the recalibration would be about £400 ! I think I need to phone round some dealers, it's a shame Lincolns so far, can independent garages align the sensor?

Offline Mustabuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2017, 21:19 »
£400. That's insane. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call around some independents.
Jan '17: Golf mk7 GTI PP
5 dr, DSG, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago wheels.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2017, 23:21 »
Thanks, I've been to the dealer and ordered the cover and the housing which came to £30 but they said the recalibration would be about £400 ! I think I need to phone round some dealers, it's a shame Lincolns so far, can independent garages align the sensor?

wow! £150 suddenly doesn't seem so bad! If you're in Yorkshire its maybe not that far...
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2017, 19:06 »
Just googled it and Lincolns 85 miles away, so may be worth a day out. While googling stuff came across some one who reckoned he'd realigned it with a laser level! May be worth a try, how hard can it be :smiley: