Author Topic: Touch up paint - best place to get it from?  (Read 7829 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Touch up paint - best place to get it from?
« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2017, 21:51 »
I've got the chipex pure white kit and the colour match is perfect. You need the paint to sit proud above the surrounding area and then when it's dry you've got excess paint to rub down with the other solution. Same with clear coat.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2017, 22:20 »
I've got the chipex pure white kit and the colour match is perfect. You need the paint to sit proud above the surrounding area and then when it's dry you've got excess paint to rub down with the other solution. Same with clear coat.

Maybe I didn't leave it long enough (20 minutes) and so when I used the solution to get level to the top surface it just removed the paint in the chip as well. Just a bit worried that if I left it too long that it would dry too much and would be tricky to level up.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2017, 23:07 »

Maybe I didn't leave it long enough (20 minutes) and so when I used the solution to get level to the top surface it just removed the paint in the chip as well. Just a bit worried that if I left it too long that it would dry too much and would be tricky to level up.

20 minutes should've been long enough to wait in warm-ish weather. This is the method I use to remove the excess paint which seems to work OK and doesn't remove too much paint;
1. Ensure the paint applied to the repair stands proud of the surrounding area.
2. Make sure you use the small grey foam rubbing block supplied with the kit when using the blending solution.
3. Wrap the blue blending cloth around the foam block in the same way that you'd wrap sandpaper around a sanding block when sanding woodwork in your home ready for painting.
4. Apply a small amount of blending solution to the part of the blending cloth wrapped around the foam block; not too much blending solution, otherwise the cloth will be too wet and you may remove too much of the paint you've applied to the repaired area.
5. Rub the cloth-wrapped foam block gently across the painted area (but don't press too hard!) until the Chipex paint is level with the surrounding area.
6. Polish the repaired area.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2017, 14:15 »

20 minutes should've been long enough to wait in warm-ish weather. This is the method I use to remove the excess paint which seems to work OK and doesn't remove too much paint;
1. Ensure the paint applied to the repair stands proud of the surrounding area.
2. Make sure you use the small grey foam rubbing block supplied with the kit when using the blending solution.
3. Wrap the blue blending cloth around the foam block in the same way that you'd wrap sandpaper around a sanding block when sanding woodwork in your home ready for painting.
4. Apply a small amount of blending solution to the part of the blending cloth wrapped around the foam block; not too much blending solution, otherwise the cloth will be too wet and you may remove too much of the paint you've applied to the repaired area.
5. Rub the cloth-wrapped foam block gently across the painted area (but don't press too hard!) until the Chipex paint is level with the surrounding area.
6. Polish the repaired area.

Thanks for this. Will give it another go if it ever stops raining!!! I did follow all of those steps. May have applied too much blending solution.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2017, 22:32 »
From memory you only need a tiny amount of solution and I left my paint chip for an hour or two before doing mine.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.