Author Topic: Smell of fuel in cabin  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
Re: Smell of fuel in cabin
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2017, 11:57 »
My car is the same age as yours and did exactly the same it will be a leaking fuel pump,does it smell stronger under the passengers wheel arch ?.Mine was six months out of warranty the dealer only charged for their time and not the pump after i told them i had read about high pressure fuel pumps leaking on earlier models.
Yes I smel it under the passenger side front wheel .. but it is very faint and only now and then I smell it inside
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2017, 20:21 »
Driving into Aberdeen today I again could smell fuel , so I pulled over to investigate , removed the engine cover and found the high lift pump wet with fuel , and worse I found a rag stuffed under it !  now the only people to be in there lately have been VW when they did a service 4 weeks ago. the car has been for MOT since but wouldn't think an MOT inspector would be into the pump!
went directly to VW. they didn't even come out to look at it !  car is booked in for Monday anyway to investigate the fuel smell. the warranty was out  25-03-17 but they did the service 26-02-17 so in my mind they left the rag there then.
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2017, 23:48 »
Wow! A petrol soaked rag in a hot engine bay; not a good combination. Doesn't bear thinking about what could've happened!

I'd be kicking up a stink with the dealer, and expect some serious goodwill in getting it fixed! 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2017, 09:09 »
Driving into Aberdeen today I again could smell fuel , so I pulled over to investigate , removed the engine cover and found the high lift pump wet with fuel , and worse I found a rag stuffed under it !  now the only people to be in there lately have been VW when they did a service 4 weeks ago. the car has been for MOT since but wouldn't think an MOT inspector would be into the pump!
went directly to VW. they didn't even come out to look at it !  car is booked in for Monday anyway to investigate the fuel smell. the warranty was out  25-03-17 but they did the service 26-02-17 so in my mind they left the rag there then.

Wouldn't the MoT inspector noticed the rag? Also from your photo there seems to be oil on the rag as well. It used to be during an Mot  inspection they would remove the dipstick to install a thermostat to check the oil temp. for the emmisions check.My thinking is the rag could have belonged to the MoT inspector and the oil is where he wiped the dipstick. Having said that it still doesn't account for the fuel leak.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2017, 09:15 »

Wouldn't the MoT inspector noticed the rag? Also from your photo there seems to be oil on the rag as well. It used to be during an Mot  inspection they would remove the dipstick to install a thermostat to check the oil temp. for the emmisions check.My thinking is the rag could have belonged to the MoT inspector and the oil is where he wiped the dipstick. Having said that it still doesn't account for the fuel leak.

The mot inspector surely wouldn't take the engine cover off though.

Sandtrap, I'd be straight onto VW UK about this. How many miles has the car covered since the service? What dealer was it?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2017, 09:44 »
Car has done 700 miles since the service.. I'll go see the MOT guy and ask him but I wouldn't think he would have put a rag directly under the HP fuel pump .. VW yesterday didn't even come outside and look at the car !  I'm with the thinking that VW during the service put the rag there and forgot to remove it . So at the service they must have suspected the HP pump was leaking !
It looks like oil but I think it's fuel with road dirt / dust

Just called VW service manager in Aberdeen, they are saying they would not have been into the HP pump area during a service!   I won't know for sure till I go see the MOT dude ..
« Last Edit: 14 April 2017, 10:10 by Sandtrap »
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2017, 15:56 »
So what was the verdict,where did the rag come from ?
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2017, 17:27 »
Just finally got car dropped off with them today !  They said they will cover the costs ! pick it back up on Friday so let's see
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2017, 17:21 »
Car fixed .. HP fuel pump replaced but they asked me to pay 90 pounds for time !   I can do that I suppose
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2017, 17:29 »
Car fixed .. HP fuel pump replaced but they asked me to pay 90 pounds for time !   I can do that I suppose

Seriously?

Did you remind them of the rag they left wrapped around the old one, when it was in for a service while under warranty?

At the suggestion of coughing up £90, I would have literally gone mental!!!