Author Topic: Smell of fuel in cabin  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
Smell of fuel in cabin
« on: 09 April 2017, 17:20 »
My 2014 GTI PP is out of warranty by only 7 days and I think I'm smelling fuel inside the car .. very occasionally and it's very faint .. at first I wasn't even sure it it was coming from my car , I can possibly detect the smell next to the passenger side front wheel arch ...
has anyone got any ideas? Ill contact VW in the morning to see what they say ... hopefully they will check it out under warranty as I have been suspecting something for around a week now !
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
Re: Smell of fuel in cabin
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2017, 18:09 »
I read in America there had been problems with a batch of fuel pumps .

Offline nlm

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2017, 23:17 »
Confirm. On my gti 2013 the fuel pump was been replaced 2 times. The smell is from a leak i the pump when start/stop is on.

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2017, 09:30 »
My car had the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced under warranty at the time of its first MOT.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2017, 02:44 »
My warranty ran out almost 2 weeks ago . I informed VW that its been two weeks iv been noticing this problem but initally i was unsure if the was a problem. At first i thought i may have driven over some fuel or the smell was coming from another car
Im hoping they will as part of good will and customer relations, included this issue under warranty !  What do you think ?

« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 03:46 by Sandtrap »
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2017, 07:05 »
My warranty ran out almost 2 weeks ago . I informed VW that its been two weeks iv been noticing this problem but initally i was unsure if the was a problem. At first i thought i may have driven over some fuel or the smell was coming from another car
Im hoping they will as part of good will and customer relations, included this issue under warranty !  What do you think ?

If you have had the car serviced with them, according to the book, then they are usually good for this. If your dealer is not helpful, try VW Customer Services.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2017, 08:11 »
they serviced the car only a few weeks before the end of warranty..
I'm still not 100% sure there is actually a problem ? ..  the smell is only occasionally and only noticeable for a few seconds   
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2017, 08:25 »
With a potential fuel leak, why be so placid?

I consider a fuel leak to be way above an occasional rattle from trim in how I would approach VW.

You are not sure of there is a leak, so you can't be sure if it is nothing or the car is at risk of catching fire?

This could be a serious issue, I would ask VW to resolve the problem as you are genuinely concerned, if the car does catch fire (unlikely) this will not look good for VW, especially as they recently serviced the car.

There is history with fuel pump leaks on these cars, you can normally see it seeping out of the top of fuel pump body on the rear of the block if it is that. 
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 08:47 by clubsport »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2017, 10:28 »
With a potential fuel leak, why be so placid?

I consider a fuel leak to be way above an occasional rattle from trim in how I would approach VW.

Agree clubsport, if I was the OP, I'd be getting this investigated as a priority as it could be a potential fire hazard.

Some years ago, l was getting the smell of fuel in my car (not a VW) and booked it into the dealer. Dealer initially said there wasn't a problem. The smell persisted so took the car straight back to the dealer. Turns out fuel was seeping around one of the injectors where it fitted into the fuel injector rail. New injector rail fitted and no more seeping or smells.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2017, 11:00 »
My car is the same age as yours and did exactly the same it will be a leaking fuel pump,does it smell stronger under the passengers wheel arch ?.Mine was six months out of warranty the dealer only charged for their time and not the pump after i told them i had read about high pressure fuel pumps leaking on earlier models.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 11:03 by simonpolly »
Golfgti build quality is average at best.