Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142267 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Out of interest:

Did any of the ED40 Clubsports come with ambient lighting? I remember reading a German forum a year or two ago, as the early ones were starting to come through on the continent, that they thought the leather equipped cars might have the ambient lighting. In other posts people said that the honeycomb 40 trims didn't have the LED strip at all no matter what spec you had.

And which specs came with the red seatbelt edges? Mine being a cheapo spec doesn't have them.

Sorry for late reply, my Clubsport came with ambient lighting (the red strip light across the door). I wasn't expecting it as I'd read no CS had it.

I've no idea why some don't? Maybe leather trim as opposed to CS seats?
Thanks for the update, looks like the Germans might have been right all along that the leather Ed40's got the ambient but cloth ones didn't  :sad:

These Clubsports look great! Really want an Edition 40 now.
Agree with others that the R is a great all round car but doesn't look like a £32K car.

Does anyone have any updates on how many clubsports were produced in the end and I am assuming they have all been delivered now?
Might wait and see if the face lift models have any affect on the MK7 prices.

Originally looking at getting a used (standard) GTI with a few decent options - but prices at dealers haven't dropped much.

The prices aren't dropping because VW have long order waits to bolster used prices. Ed40's seem to be stuck in no man's land in that they're expensive next to a GTI and on paper offer less than an R. Driving one is the only answer as they are significantly different to both which is surprising when you think of the shared parts.
I *think* all of the Clubsports have been registered now but don't know for sure. If you look at VW used website you'll notice that most of the non ordered stock were registered in March, then a few in April and May.
A couple dealers I'd spoken to hinted at VW wanted all of them registered before April so they could concentrate on the FL cars.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline douglaslad

• Not said much yet
Great article on the link below from a man who should know a thing or two about the Clubsport and the performance golfs in general.

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/golf-gti-laid-bare/33369
Pure White Manual 3dr Clubsport.
Dynamic Chassis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio, Sat Nav Pro, Rear view Camera, Car Net, Standard Sport Seats, 18" Belvederes.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Saw my first CS on the road today, just a brief glimpse, but enough for feelings of inadequacy to set in....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Great action shots Gasco, once again it's good to see the Ed40 actually doing a bit of Clubsport action.

Don't worry Watts, the Clubsport driver will have had ambient envy when he saw you!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Great action shots Gasco, once again it's good to see the Ed40 actually doing a bit of Clubsport action.

Don't worry Watts, the Clubsport driver will have had ambient envy when he saw you!

I may be coming up short in the 'fully getting the gist of that comment' department, now I'm feeling even more inadequate :cry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

I may be coming up short in the 'fully getting the gist of that comment' department, now I'm feeling even more inadequate :cry:
The Clubsport lacks the interior ambient lighting that other Performance Golfs get.
No red stripes lit up or footwell lighting or even the natty little LED that lights up the interior door latch thingy. Unless the Clubsport had leather, in which case you can feel very inadequate indeed. And likewise so can I.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict

The Clubsport lacks the interior ambient lighting that other Performance Golfs get.
No red stripes lit up or footwell lighting or even the natty little LED that lights up the interior door latch thingy. Unless the Clubsport had leather, in which case you can feel very inadequate indeed. And likewise so can I.

No, I think he went past like Toad of Toad Hall with a smug look saying "look at my big spoiler underling" :angry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

No, I think he went past like Toad of Toad Hall with a smug look saying "look at my big spoiler underling" :angry:
I'm sure said Clubsport driver will have come up against a FL R and had the same inadequacies not having a handlebar moustache front bumper, or a 7th gear with which to get to 70mph with on the motorway, and that's before we get to tailpipe inferiority and lack of a rear axle for when you want to behave dangerously in the wet on public roads. Clubsport owners don't have it all good i'll have you know.  :kiss:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner