Author Topic: Superchips bluefin  (Read 13919 times)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Superchips bluefin
« on: 04 April 2017, 20:24 »
Is anyone running a bluefin on their mk7 GTI?
According to their website it is available for the GTI up to 3/2015 models, mine is a 2013.

I had one on my mk6 and loved it.  :cool:

I remember the mk7 couldn't be mapped using the bluefin when it first came out but it seems as though it now can be.

Anyone actually using one at the moment?
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline GloriaGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Nic
Re: Superchips bluefin
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2017, 12:06 »
Very weird, I came here to ask this exact question for my 2013 GTI PP after looking at these last night!  :smiley:

The gains from the Bluefin look quite modest and well within the tolerances of the engine, based on Revo/APR maps that are getting about 300 bhp.

The power curve from the Superchips map (Bluefin) is very similar to stock, just with obviously more output.

Lots of people using the JB4/DTUK boxes which are equal on price, produce 300 bhp and are adjustable - you've just gotta spend a bit more time fitting them.

I'm on the fence!
Mk7 GTI PP DSG - Limestone Grey w/ black Austin's

Offline GloriaGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Nic
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2017, 14:26 »
I went for it, should be with me tomorrow.

Will let you how I get on after a 300 mile roundtrip to St Athan this Sunday  :cool:

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2017, 10:34 »

Will let you how I get on after a 300 mile roundtrip to St Athan this Sunday  :cool:

Interested to hear how you get on, i'm keen to get a bit more poke from the car but keep reading horror stories to clutch slip due to the extra torque  :undecided:

Offline madmark63

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2017, 17:11 »
i have allways rated superchips bluefin ,i have one fitted to my transit van and its been on there 10 years with no problems and it flys for a van  :smiley:
they used to chip the police volvo that show what sort of company they are  :cool:
gti mk7 5 door in black dsg /performance pack,tech pack,parking pack,19" satiago,s with dcc

Offline GloriaGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Nic
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2017, 17:58 »
i have allways rated superchips bluefin ,i have one fitted to my transit van and its been on there 10 years with no problems and it flys for a van  :smiley:
they used to chip the police volvo that show what sort of company they are  :cool:

Makes sense actually, a friend of mine bought a ex-traffic Octavia VRS from a Police auction and that was remapped to 280 bhp, which is the same as the Superchips takes my GTI to.

Offline GloriaGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Nic
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2017, 18:04 »

Interested to hear how you get on, i'm keen to get a bit more poke from the car but keep reading horror stories to clutch slip due to the extra torque  :undecided:

Depends how demanding you are of the car I guess. I'm quite a lazy driver 95% (DSG on mine) of the time but thought the car lacked a little grunt when I did demand some of the power.

Having said that, I came to the GTI from a GSXR 600 so I think my perception of speed is a little altered.  :wink:

Will let you know how it goes. For what it's worth, just seen there's a chap selling a bluefin handset on here - already reset too and for half the price of what I just paid!

Edit: Revo/APR take these engines to well over 300 bhp and 500Nm of torque from a Stage 1 tune on 95 Ron. Superchips is less than that.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2017, 18:10 by GloriaGTI »

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2017, 20:52 »
Let us know how you get on, ease of use and feel of the car, especially 3 - 4 - 5th.
I was impressed with my last one on the mk6, I even used to revert to stock every now and again just to remind me of the difference...

Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline GloriaGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Nic
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2017, 22:41 »
Let us know how you get on, ease of use and feel of the car, especially 3 - 4 - 5th.
I was impressed with my last one on the mk6, I even used to revert to stock every now and again just to remind me of the difference...

Noticable improvement whilst in D (I have DSG), engine feels more comfortable when cruising along and wanting to shift up to 4th and 5th.

Seems to have ironed out the delay from the throttle, previously it felt like there was a deadzone where nothing happened. Response is certainly better now.

Can really hear the stock DV blowing off when you come off the throttle whilst on boost. I have removed the soundproofing from the bonnet so could hear it before but I think it sounds louder, maybe I was paying more attention to it on my test flight just now.

The pull in 3-4-5 is vastly improved, didn't get up to 6 whilst in using paddle shifts, kept running out of road. I try and be kind to the clutch/box whilst in 1-2 so didn't give it much more than 30% throttle in either of those gears. 

DSG farts seemed to have disappeared, maybe because I was shifting later than 5k which seems to be the sweet spot I've found. Will see tomorrow.

Inital impressions are very positive, such a clean and easy performance mod. Well worth the £415 in my opinion.

Offline madmark63

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2017, 17:01 »
thanks for the update keep us posted Gloria i might invest in one myself  :cool:
gti mk7 5 door in black dsg /performance pack,tech pack,parking pack,19" satiago,s with dcc