Author Topic: Affraid to wax  (Read 4500 times)

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
Affraid to wax
« on: 24 March 2017, 19:49 »
 As the headers says. I took delivery of the GTI P/P in December and try to wash the car once a week. I have always used Zymol Autowash  and wax ( not the expensive stuff may I add ) on all my cars and clay barred them twice a year, but the dilemma I am in at the moment is that the car has no swirl marks showing on the paintwork at all. I am afraid that if I wax the car now, even using microfiber cloths I am going to have swirl marks. The car paintwork is Carbon Grey. Any advice would be of help.

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
Re: Affraid to wax
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2017, 21:20 »
Our current GTD is Carbon Grey and it just doesn't show swirls anyway  :smiley:

So get some wax on and don't worry, just be careful :laugh:   ...

Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2017, 22:45 »
Would you rather no protection than risk a few swirls?  There's always a slight risk of swirls with any of the touch stages of washing/dryin/protection, but better to protect than not. If you take your time over the wax application and buffing - make sure the car is perfectly clean before waxing and don't leave the wax on to haze too long, so you don't have to buff too hard, sure it will be fine and will be nicely protected and look great.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2017, 22:48 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2017, 07:13 »
+ the deep shine & mirror look waxing leaves is so satisfying, it's more than worth the risk of a few swirls.

Like the others have said just take your time and don't leave the wax on for to long, 10mins max I'd say.

Personally I'm never happy with the finish unless I've put a layer of protection on the car after washing.

Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2017, 09:04 »
Agree with above comments, get a layer of protection on your car; definitely worth it, and enhances the appearance too.

As well as providing protection against the elements, it'll also make it much easier to wash and maintain. A good (wax or sealant) coating will help to stop the dirt sticking to the paintwork so with a good washing technique, dirt is easier to remove from a well protected, slippery surface, so there's less risk of inflicting swirls during washing. Easier to dry the car too when it's well protected; rinsing with an open ended hose to 'sheet' the water off leaves very little water to mop up with a good quality drying towel.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2017, 13:59 »
Unless you wrap the car up and put it in a hermetically sealed cocoon the paint will be marred in one form or another. I know what you mean but get it waxed and enjoy the gleam! And don't forget a few photos :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 13:24 »
I am afraid that if I wax the car now, even using microfiber cloths I am going to have swirl marks. The car paintwork is Carbon Grey. Any advice would be of help.
Swirls will be harder to see on a lacquered metallic finish like that.

Have you considered just using a sealant. If the paint is in good condition - something like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. For better results you could use a light application of Super Resin Polish first. Both are really easy to use. Though I find they don't last.

I've just put some Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax (DSW) on our solid red A3. Was only 15 quid and comes with a micro fibre and applicator sponge. Best to prep the paint first though. It can take a bit of effort to remove. Though I may have left it to dry too long on some panels. The second coat was easier. Gets good reviews - hoping it's going to last.

Edit: just thinking about DSW. It dries white so really showed up all the stone chips on a 3 year old car. Gonna have to get some touch up paint. :undecided:
« Last Edit: 26 March 2017, 13:33 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS