Author Topic: Is it possible to change the handbrake gaiter on a 1994 MK3 GTI?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
Hi, I'm trying to change the handbrake gaiter on my 1994 MK3 GTI from the standard plastic to a leather one I've bought. I've been told that the gaiter on my car is full plastic one-piece and probably not possible to change.

Surely it must be possible to change these somehow?! Any advice on how to do it greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline gasketface

• I live here
You can fit an aftermarket universal one over the top of the old one but they dont seem to ever look that good.

Without knowing exactly what you have bought i cannot really advise.

I use a larger one but i also use a richbrook handbrake button cover/sleeve and a highline console so the ends are tucked away.

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
You can fit an aftermarket universal one over the top of the old one but they dont seem to ever look that good.

Without knowing exactly what you have bought i cannot really advise.

I use a larger one but i also use a richbrook handbrake button cover/sleeve and a highline console so the ends are tucked away.

You have PM!

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
Or can I just get a leather handle handbrake with leather gaiter say from a MK3 VR6 and it will just fit straight into my MK3 GTI?

Or would I have to get the VR6 centre console as well to make the handbrake with gaiter fit and would that all slot straight into the GTI???

Offline general_piffle

• GTI forum regular
For anyone interested I've now found out that if you're tidying up the interior in your MK3 GTI and want more leather, for example you've fitted leather seats, the leather handle handbrake from a VR6 will slot straight in.

You don't need the VR6's centre console, the GTI one will work fine. The VR6 handbrake has a black button at the end with the handle section covered in leather and a black plastic base/cover below this. There's no gaiter, leather or plastic.

They look a lot smarter than the standard plastic covered handbrake and work well with the rest of the 'highline' interior.