Author Topic: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?  (Read 8979 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
Re: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2017, 08:28 »
They're really not worth it, as the detection you want is against the laser guns and like everyone has mentioned already, by the time it detects the laser, you've already been caught.

It's best to keep a light foot and work out the usual hot spots the plod tend to set their tents up in.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2017, 11:29 »
Being a truck driver with over 30yrs experience and seeing way too many speed related accidents the best way to avoid speed cameras and the fines and bans etc is Don't Speed it's that simple.
I know with the performance cars whichever make and model the temptation of the buzz is there but you never know what's around that corner or what's going to pull out on you..
« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 12:38 by gtiaps »
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2017, 12:24 »
^^ Appreciate the advice, but, honestly, not talking "buzz" speeds, just slight lapses over the limits (60's & 70's only) where road conditions permit.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2017, 12:44 »
^^ Appreciate the advice, but, honestly, not talking "buzz" speeds, just slight lapses over the limits (60's & 70's only) where road conditions permit.

Hey up Roger I know where your from I meant in general even with auto cruise set at a certain speed the vehicle can exceed the set limit due to road conditions and types I know this from the truck and as you probably know any type of cruise control is ok on flat roads only when these conditions change then so does the speed.
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2017, 20:01 »
The ACC on the Mk7 doesn't vary in my experience. It doesn't start increasing speed down hills for example.

The non-automatic cruise control on my last Mondeo did that I'll give you, but not on the Mk7.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2017, 20:46 »
The ACC on the Mk7 doesn't vary in my experience. It doesn't start increasing speed down hills for example.

Quite right. It is very controlled. Probably uses brakes as well as throttle.
Roger.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2017, 22:53 »

Quite right. It is very controlled. Probably uses brakes as well as throttle.

Of course it does, that is how it matches speeds with slower things in front of you :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2017, 07:44 »
I learned the hard way after getting banned for 6 months for points totting up ... caught doing 80 in a 70 zone was the one that tipped me over 11 points ... now it's set ACC at 75mph and 63mph .. the 6 month ban did its job for me .

This pretty much sums it up for me.  I haven't been banned but have been points free for a while now.  Set cruise to 75 and let it do its thing.  May get where I am going 5/10 mins later but doesn't bother me.  I'm always reminded of the crazy driver you see from time to time who is either hammering it or moving from lane to lane to get ahead. You almost always catch up with them with 'normal' driving and always wonder what was the point of all that crazy effort.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2017, 17:30 »
Just got the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera POI database loaded via Car-Net. Enabled the POI's on the map and toggled alarm to sound for "My POI's", so will report back on how well that works. Cost me £19.99 for a year of weekly updated camera positions, so not much lost if it fails! Visual map check shows that the ones I know round here are shown. So far, so good.  :wink:
Roger.

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2017, 19:24 »
Cyclops speed camera app. I have it and for under £4 pa good value. You can get a free trial so worth at least giving it a go.it was an Auto Express Best Buy 2016
« Last Edit: 21 February 2017, 19:25 by robtt »