Author Topic: Basic questions about 2009 GTI purchase  (Read 11421 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Basic questions about 2009 GTI purchase
« on: 02 February 2017, 19:28 »
Hello everyone,

I am looking at early MK6 GTI's and have the following questions:

1. Did the 2009 bi-xenon (no DRL) lights feature dynamic curve or was this added later? Pic of the lights below

2. Is there an easy way to add DAB to an early RNS510 factory installation?

3. I know about the camchain issue!

4. Any known long term problems with DCC? Does it cost more to replace the dampers?

5. Any other big problems with 2009 models apart from the camchain? I know they added rear LED lighting and LED DRLs to later models.

Thanks
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: Basic questions about 2009 GTI purchase
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2017, 12:25 »
Hi David,

I don't have all the answers to all your questions but I'll try and help out as much as I can.

1) Not sure unfortunately.

2) As far as I know the only way to add DAB to an RNS-510 is to swap out the headunit for a DAB RNS-510 and add the appropriate aerial. Happy to be corrected on this though.

3) Good, just go into any potential purchase with your eyes open (as it seems you are). Usual advice applies, ensure car has updated tensioner/budget for replacement.

4) Yes DCC dampers will cost more to replace than standard ones. Having said that I don't know of any long term problems with them. My car has DCC and I'm on 91,000 miles now with no issues there. I'll try log in to ETKA later and get some example prices.

5) None that I know of that are 2009 specific. Diamond cut Monzas can suffer from whiteworm corrosion. Problems I've had with my car during ownership have been failure of the coolant level sensor (expansion tank and sensor replaced under warranty) and failure of the PCV valve (DIY replaced this, ~£100 in parts from VW dealer). Been utterly reliable other than that. I think other potential weak areas include coilpacks (standard VAG) and diverter valves (mainly on tuned cars).

Would you be looking at manual or DSG cars? If DSG make sure it has been serviced on schedule (oil and filter change every 40,000 miles).

Hope that helps out,

Dan
« Last Edit: 03 February 2017, 12:27 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2017, 17:32 »
Many thanks for the info, it will be a manual, so no oil change to worry about.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2017, 20:31 »

2 Seabrook is correct. To get DAB requires a replacement 510 with DAB. The replacement of the existing FM amplifier with one that is FM and DAB frequencies plus cabling allows you to use the existing antenna.

4 I believe the dampers are in excess of £250 each and there do not appear to be any aftermarket ones but not heard of any problems with them.

5 The only other problem that seems to be a more common fault (as well as the tensioner) is the intake manifold. A sensor fails and this affects the movement of the flaps inside but not a catastrophic failure as car is still driveable. Requires a replacement intake manifold.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2017, 10:50 »
Again, many thanks for the info.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2017, 10:53 »
Yes the xenons move on a 2009 you can turn it on or off from the dash menu.

Pcv/main seal
My main suggestion if viewing an early car is climb underneath and make sure there is NO oil on the bottom of the gearbox were it joins the engine. You can see it from the front and reach it. If there is oil its probably got a failed rear main crank seal. A gearbox off job to fix and probably contaminated the clutch too. This happens If the PCV fails or goes slightly faulty. But its a pain to fix.

Water pump.
Check the collent level is not at minimum as sure sign the pumps leaking.

Diverter valve
listen for boost noise (easy 35 quit fix though)

Inlet manifold.
flaps as said before.  Probably have engine light on if it fails.

Inner door panel seals.
check carpet for dampness and for smells

Air con pump
if not being topped up (check service records should be done every 2 years)
Pumps can fail. So check aircon works.

Timing chain rattle and tensioner
you know about this one

DAB
you can buy from poland or germany the adaptor for the rear screen to allow retrofit of dab.

Front wings
check the wheel arch for rust. Not seen one yet but the mk6 has the silly sponges in the wheel arches the same as mk5 and 4. They hold water causing the wheel arches to eventually rust.

Monza shaddow 18" wheels
corrosion issues of the diamond finish

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2017, 13:54 »
Wow, thanks!

Was the PCV/main seal thing fixed in later cars? Or is it simply a case of a revised PCV (like all the revisions that happened with the MK5 GTI)

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2017, 18:40 »
I`m also considering a MK6 GTI, can anyone comment about cabin noise?

Are they quiet inside, is there any / much wind, road noise / tyre roar? I guess some maybe dependent on tyre make.

How about comfort, especially on our crap British back B roads? How does the suspension cope?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2017, 08:50 »
Wow, thanks!

Was the PCV/main seal thing fixed in later cars? Or is it simply a case of a revised PCV (like all the revisions that happened with the MK5 GTI)
Not that I know of. Ive seen a 12 plate with oil on the bottom of the gearbox were it joins the engine as the oil come out of the casting hole.  That may have just being a failed main seal though. The pcv has being revised a few times but the current one looks like the original E version that came with my car.
Heres a good video about the main seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9VOI9myJiw

« Last Edit: 06 February 2017, 10:53 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2017, 17:08 »
Are they quiet inside, is there any / much wind, road noise / tyre roar? I guess some maybe dependent on tyre make.

Tyre roar can often be put down to 'sawtooth' tyre wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres. Some makes of tyres are more prone to this than others. You can feel the uneven tyre wear by running your hand over the inner tread of the tyres.

The wear is caused by having incorrect rear toe angles. The only fix is to have full 4 wheel alignment at the dealers, or somewhere that knows how to properly use a Hunter machine. The rear suspension is quite susceptible to getting knocked out of line. Having the correct alignment will make the car feel and handle so much better than one that's even a little bit out.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.