Author Topic: Hydraulic Lifter Help - Rebuilt ABF running KJET  (Read 2274 times)

Offline jakethesnake180

• Not said much yet
Hydraulic Lifter Help - Rebuilt ABF running KJET
« on: 19 January 2017, 15:56 »
Afternoon,
1st start of my ABF converted 16V.
For starters, this car couldn't have been in more bits, everything as been rebuilt as per my build thread.
Engine is an unknown and was bought as a smoking runner but has had everything replaced by me since.

Engine starts but will not run for longer than a minute due to what I think is an air leak from a damaged throttle body.
Either way the top end is extremely noisy!
It sounds like most of the lifters not just one or two.
Engine has spent probably around 4 or 5 minutes running in total however hasn't got anywhere near up to temperature due to the poor running.
I'm wondering whether to fault find the issue with the engine and try to get the car up to temp to see if the lifter noise clears and run the risk of damaging the cams or just replace the lifters before I go any further with diagnosing it.
Lifters and valves are original.
Can anyone give a little advice, my first Hydraulic lifter VW.

Cheers

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Hydraulic Lifter Help - Rebuilt ABF running KJET
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2017, 16:42 »
They should quiten down pretty quickly.
When you rebuilt the engine did you push the oil out the lifters?
Sets of lifters arnt too bad unless vw then there crazy priced

Offline jakethesnake180

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2017, 18:28 »
There wasn't any in them, oil had need drained and head removed, ill order a set and swap them out.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2017, 18:57 »
Definately oil getting to the head?
Pumps working and such

Offline jakethesnake180

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2017, 16:24 »
Oil light goes out when it should, took the rocker cover off the other day after a short run and plenty of oil around the lifters, puddling around some of the lifters so I can only presume that oil feed is good.
Gonna have the cover off again and press some of the lifters with something to see if any of them are filling up at all.

Offline jakethesnake180

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2017, 17:03 »
First time I've touched the golf in a bit! I've sorted the poor running, air leak through damaged idle speed screw on the throttle body, fitted a spare body I had and all fine, I guess that's what you get for transporting the car in boxes on house moves! just need to run it up to temp now to see if the lifters clear at all. I doubt it but it's worth a try for 10 mins.