Author Topic: GTD Disc corrosion  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Big j

• Just got here
GTD Disc corrosion
« on: 09 November 2016, 20:29 »
Hi
I have had my GTD 6 Months now and it is a fantastic car, brilliant.
However there is just one thing I am not happy with.
It went in for the 20000 service today and I mentioned the rust that appeared on the disc break near the bottom ring where it bolts onto the wheel. this started a couple of weeks after I had the car.
After asking a Sales person and service engineer, the reply was that even the new ones in the showroom develop this and its caused by the heat, damp and material its made from. If it was painted it would reappear in no time.
Has anyone else had this problem and what is the best remedy.
Thanks

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: GTD Disc corrosion
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2016, 21:18 »
Yes, others have had the rusty wheel hub problem. If you use the search facility in the forum and search on 'hub rust' in the mk7 section, you'll find a number of discussion threads.

One solution is to remove the wheels, clean off the rust and paint with something like Hammerite. Check out reply #14 in this thread, which shows before and after photos. I'm assuming yours is like the 'before' picture?

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=268946.msg2519157#msg2519157
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Moranatang

• Not said much yet
Re: GTD Disc corrosion
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2016, 21:24 »
Brembo do some discs which are Uv which are coated. I used them on my previous mark 6 looked much better They are much better for aesthetics and shouldnt rust.
I have just purchased a new GTD are to be honest only covered 1400 miles and mine are already rusting on the edge which is very poor now the winter has hit with the salt the corrosion will increase very quickly and i have been tempted to swap the discs over to keep them looking smart.
MK7 GTD 5 Door Dsg, Santiago's, Tints, Sports sound, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black