Author Topic: Lemskis mk2 (again)  (Read 29756 times)

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: Lemskis mk2 (again)
« Reply #30 on: 07 February 2017, 22:38 »
ah I see. what pump is it running?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #31 on: 07 February 2017, 22:45 »
Mk3 intank.
Which i believe is 3bar. Same i believe as the mk2 digi pumps and ive ran one of those on a k-jet before.

If its not enough pressure (i think it will be as they have a reg on the fuel system) ill fit a 5 bar pump in tank

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 08 February 2017, 22:11 »
yeah the digi pump and the mk3 one seem about the same size, so probably about same flow rate. I didn't realise the k-jet would run on the digi pump. thought it would run out off steam at high rpms. k-jet pump looks a lot beefier.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #33 on: 08 February 2017, 23:28 »
Mk3 intank.
Which i believe is 3bar. Same i believe as the mk2 digi pumps and ive ran one of those on a k-jet before.

If its not enough pressure (i think it will be as they have a reg on the fuel system) ill fit a 5 bar pump in tank

To be honest. I thought the same as it stuttered at high revs but changed the pump to a kjet did the same thing.
Realised after the fuel pressure is governed on the block so if it cant get enough fuel to the metering head it just doesnt send it back down the return line to keep the pressure up

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #34 on: 21 February 2017, 19:05 »
Well. Its that time for an update.
Ive done the loom. Ive put the driveshafts in and wheels on.

I have checked for fuel leaks... And sorted them and i have tried to start it.
I must say a big thankyou to rub jonny. He has been a massive help while i was figuring out the ods and sods...
Decided to pull the loom out to solder it as it was never getting done.

Problem is i have spark and no fuel... Fuel is getting to the regulator and back to the emetering head just not to injectors. Ive got vac lines off and such though so ill plumb the rest in and see what happens. Im confident that itll run this week and then i can finish the exhaust up and sort out some other little things that arnt yet done.

Have to keep an eye on a water leak in the car that i think ive sorted but until it rains i havnt got a clue.

Onto the pictures

Loom ready to be started. Never pictured it finished

1St wheel on the ground

Slam panel on

Driveshaft in... Just before i connected clutch cable

Back seat in. Needs a clean but it goes with the new front seats better

Finally after a few hours playing it stood like this. Servo needs bolting back up but until i know 100 percent loom isnt coming back out then its not going in.
I need to clean all my 16v hubs up and 22mm master cylinder

Chow for now

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #35 on: 26 February 2017, 20:13 »
So its a runner. I have a bideo but it wont upload.
So ive been sorti g teething problems as its insured as of the 17th of march.

To sort were front seat bases (cheers mike)
Rear exhaust which i am going to order in a minute when i have decided on a backbox.

Had to sort the horn out. More on that in a second
Cd player likes to do as it please (rubjonny assures me its a live shorting out)

And a couple of jubillee clips for the rad to expansion tank pipe.

So onto the horn... I have a mountney stearing wheel and no where that the horn could go. I had to run a wire from the button to the metal tab

So a hole was drilled and a wire ran a little like a squib so there enough lock to lock. Hopefully.

While its running ive noticed a few thing.
1. It needs the idle setting up as with the isv powered it goes to 2k and without it sits at 750

2. The ign timing needs tweaking a little

3 the co2 and fuelling need fine tuning

Until an exhaust is fully built its too loud for me to actually leave it running for long periods of time ao this will have to wait until i take it back to work and ill do it all there.

So before i end this post theres another pic for the engine bay because i cant believe how much ive missed a 16v sat in there.
Youll notice it all needs painting up and i may do that at some point.

Chow for now

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #36 on: 22 March 2017, 19:46 »
Well 100 miles into my shakedown and a backbox has been fitted. Absolutly hate it and im going to build a full exhaust for this thing.

Problems so far
Half an exhaust (fixed)
Temp gauge only reading a little (possibley fixed)
No idle (possibley fixed)
Random misfiring and such (i think overfuelling at low revs. New plugs in morning and see what happens)
Horn come on around corners (will fix tommorow)
Slower than my old mk2 (i think it needs a good tuneup)

Only major problem ive noticed is that i gave it a thrashing earlier and after there was a bit of smoke. Looked grey and im hoping is just too much fuel going in and a little bit of carbon build up in the exhaust i stole which use to be on my a4 tdi...

If i can solve the not likeing to start in the mornings and after being stood ill be happy.

All i have to dp is pull the sound proofing out as its all soaked. Dry the passenger carpet because its coming thrpugh a kissing gromet in the bulk head and fit all the interior.

Also cant complain at fuel usage when driven sensibly.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #37 on: 23 March 2017, 12:51 »
Well i think ive sorted everything. Turned the fuelling down. Changed the plugs.
Drove it and its alot better.
Not as quick as my last 16v. But i need to fine tune the co and get another throttle body to make it idle

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #38 on: 04 April 2017, 13:06 »
Didnt sort it.
Set co yesterday and got it to idle. Start cold and warm.
Set of home from work and 5 minutes down the road were broke down.
Turn the key to find no compression.
Thought belt had snapped
Opened the bonnet to find oil everywhere so feared the block had made a window.

Car towed back to work and it would seem theres a bit of block behind the engine mount. Could even be piston. I didnt look after that just closed the sheed doors and walked away.

Bought a kr off a member on here. Thank f**k i remebered there was a kr for sale.
Lovely chap and hopefully gets golf going again.

Also spoke to mike who i got the 9a off and given hed only drove the golf a handful of times he feels bad. Not the words he used...
The mileage on the 9a was apparently around 70k and looking at it youd think it. It was never right and its time to move on. Ill update with pictures once the engine is out and i can see abit more of what has happened

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2017, 22:09 »
Nightmare dude :(

Hopefully it'll be straightforward fix...  :whistle:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.