Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto  (Read 65361 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto
« Reply #100 on: 20 January 2018, 15:19 »
Got the GTD pulley:

Worked out perfectly, almost… First thing that didn’t go to plan is the pulley mounting face of the pumps. The Mk3 one sits in the opposite was to a Mk2 one, so even with the offset this pulley still sat too far over. So, I used Mk3 Golf brackets with the Mk2 pump but has to grind a small amount off the pump in order for the pump to clear it and spin freely. Also had to double washer the bolts as they’re slightly too long.

Tensioned up lovely, the Mk3 Golf setup is miles better than the Mk2 one! Finally had the car running and up to temperature today but she smoked badly! My CO2 mixture is well off so needs a full tune up and sorting when I’m finished flushing the various systems through. One round of 20w-50 oil is through, got another one to do before dropping it and the filter and then putting the 10w-40 in which will stay. Got Holts cooling system flush to use (a 2 part treatment) so will report on that when complete.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #101 on: 08 February 2018, 19:12 »
Got the pump all fitted up and the engine running nicely:

Finished running the flushes through the various systems, now time to address a few other jobs I want to get done. Firstly I noticed the cooling fan seemed to struggle to get going but a spray of WD-40 seemed to fix that. Decided to take it off to look into it and snapped the threads for the bolts on it so it's being replaced for a new item.

Also made a start on overhauling the entire brake system starting with the servo, master cylinder and lines. Removed the stock items:

Has some difficulty with the unions, so decided to just cut the lines with the grinder and use a socket to remove them, was much easier and saved destroying the lines to the rear for now:

Forgot to get some snaps of the space left behind. All I'll say is I should of done it when the head was off as I needed to remove the entire intake system, including the throttle body, in order to get the servo out. Refurbishing my 9" replacement unit which, being from a 16v Corrado, has the ABS sensor on it so that combined with the front hubs also being ABS ready means an ABS retro-fit is possible sometime in the future should I desire.

Here's the new pre-bent front lines:

Got these off eBay, the seller does them to order pretty much and they're spot on! While on eBay I started ordering a few other bits...

Mk3 Golf 4-stud wishbones, track rods and ends, driveshafts and the other required hardware to fit them along with the brake discs and pads. The hope is everything arrives by the weekend so I can get the car at least able to be rolled out the garage if needs be. Still need to order a master cylinder as the one that came with the servo is too long and has the ports in the wrong position.

Driveshafts arrived within 24 hours which was awesome:

Will get some more pictures and update on progress over the weekend.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #102 on: 17 March 2018, 19:36 »
Got the 9" brake servo all painted up and fitted, involved taking everything up to the TB off again which was a tad annoying. Also discovered that the pedal sits further towards the firewall when installed with this servo so the 8v brake light switch doesn't work with it, but adapted it for the short term until I get a proper switch:

Then decided that it was a good idea to dismantle the entire subframe and front axle, so got to taking off the engine subframe with wishbones still attached:

Stripped off the old wishbones and engine mounts, decided I'm going to replace them with G60 items to firm everything up, plus it's a good upgrade to get done and sorted before a 1.8T swap:

Also got myself some Powerflex black series bushes for the front cross member and the steering rack, seeing as I'm for some unknown reason preparing the car for a 1.8T swap that I never planned to do. Least the 8v engine will be held nicely in place. Also thinking of using Powerflex bushes on the rear beam too just to help things out further, as well as G60 top mounts for the suspension.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2018, 19:37 by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #103 on: 30 March 2018, 16:49 »
Got some replacement wishbone fitting bolts to freshen everything up:

Due to impending house move, I've had to put the car back together without getting some of the work I'd of liked done first like powercoating the subframe and roll bar but never mind. It'll all come back off again when I'm set up at my new place. Spent today giving the subframe and roll bar a quick once over to clean off the worst of the rust:

New G60 engine mounts and roll bar bushes on:

Also fitted the Powerflex black series power steering rack bush:

Likely I'll get more Powerflex bushes sorted at some stage but considering only the rear beam and suspension mounts are now the only older parts, it's not a priority. Also got the old tie rods off after much fighting, subframe fully fitted and engine mounts bolted onto the brackets to the engine, steering rack secured and the flanges for the drive shaft cleaned up ready for fresh grease. Stopped there as needed tea and biscuits.

Over this Easter bank holiday I'm hoping to get the entire front end built ready to go minus tyres on the Sebring wheels. Also need to get hold of a 22.2mm master cylinder and a bottle for the fluid as I can't find my one and then it's pretty much fit and finish the other jobs off before booking an MOT and getting her back on the road.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 08 April 2018, 10:56 »
Fitted the new driveshafts, front wishbones and roll bar bushes:

Stumbling block, I didn't get every part I need, got to order caliper carrier bolts, steering arm gaiters, the master cylinder and reservoir bottle. Also want to strip down and clean the front suspension as it'd be a shame to leave it looking like this:

Hopefully order the parts this coming week and get new tyres fitted to the Sebring alloys so I can take it for a first test drive in nearly a year.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #105 on: 17 April 2018, 17:54 »
Cleaned up the original brake bottle which came up alright:

I did order a new 22.2mm master cylinder and brake bottle but neither will work, and for a simple reason. I bought a Corrado 16V brake servo which has the studs for the master cylinder offset from horizontal like a Golf, so a Golf master cylinder sits at an angle. Luckily I didn't get rid of the Corrado 16V master cylinder so I still am able to put the car back together. Had to bend one of my new brake lines round to fit the cylinder but not fussed about it as the master cylinder has a bleed nipple which is actually a nice touch. Being an ABS setup as well means I could, in theory, upgrade to that one day if needs be. Just nice to know it's there...

Went to fit the front hubs and realised I'd made a bit of a mistake. I ordered the drive shafts for a mk3 Golf GTI, which is a 5-stud and, as I've now learned the hard way, has a different size spline on the outer part of the outer CV joint. So those had to come off, bagged them up as I can use them on Harriet as she's going 5-stud (full VR6 front and rear setup in all honesty) so all is not lost. Also fitted up the G60 brake lines ready to put into the calipers, so currently looking like this:

Anyone spot a bit of a theme with recent work..? Ordered the right CV joints now, as well as new wheel bolts, spacers for the rear and camber bolts for the front as well to help correct for the wide track and eventual lowering. Need to have this car running and road worthy within the next month as I'm moving house and also want to take the 6R off the road to upgrade to the TTE420 setup.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #106 on: 05 May 2018, 18:24 »
Got myself some 13mm spacers and longer wheel bolts for the rear as well as some new bolts for the front:

Got the passenger side hub built back up:

Looks like a good fit all in all:

Another issue cropped up, the immobiliser in my car fell apart, so had to break out the soldering iron:

More on that shortly. First, got myself some extra goodies to fit, a boss kit, a new knock sensor as my old one fell apart, a 16v brake light switch and some new washer jets for the bonnet:

Now back to the immobiliser issue. Refitted the part I repaired but sadly it was not going to play ball. I decided I’d have a go at removing it myself, my logic was that any wires that had been tapped into would match so it was a case of just matching them all back up. Warning, view advised as the next few scenes contain sensitive content:

Definitely need to spend some time sorting the interior out, it’s a right mess! Stripped down all the wiring and sure enough:

One power wire and one earth had been completely cut and another power cable was tapped into, so stripped it all out and re-soldered everything back together and while I was there I untangled all the wiring loom and tidied things up:

Seeing as I was half way there, decided to fit the new steering wheel:

All that’s left now is to replace the rear brake hardlines, discs, bearings and pads then fit the wheels and book an MOT. May of take about 11 months longer than I planned, but she should finally be back on the road. For now, it’s a fond farewell to the immobiliser:
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 19:10 by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 12 May 2018, 19:06 »
Got round to fitting the rear brake lines:

Fitted all but one of the hard lines as I ran out of securing clips, decided that it wasn't too bad and seeing I plan to later replace the middle section brake lines that connect the front to the rear, thought I'd just leave it. Naturally, being the type of project this is, that particular hard decided to p*** fluid when pressurised so needed replacing! Decided to get all new flexi lines for the rear too so that only the regulator and the mid-sections as mentioned are left to be replaced for new items. Also finished off fitting the new rear discs, pads and bearings:

With that all done and sorted, I broke out the auto-bleeder. Love this tool, such a good investment if you want to run your own servicing:

During the bleeding process I couldn't get the system to pressurise, meaning air was trapped somewhere. I went round 3 times before I remembered the master cylinder I used has a bleed valve on it, so bled that and then immediately had perfect brakes. Also got all new rubbers for the pedals, including the accelorator, which I haven't taken a picture of but really help to refresh the feel of the car. Also had tyres fitted to the Sebrings, went for my now favourites of Avon ZV-3 in a 195 50 R15 flavour. Was worried that when fitted to the car with this choice they'd foul the arches:

Needant of worried. Even with a 20mm and 24mm wider front and rear track respectively, they sit beautifully. And so, ladies and gentleman...

After one year being on axle stands and collecting (a now thick layer) of dust and dirt, she lives and drives! Got to see the garage floor for the first time:

Need to sort those slicks out as we're moving out next week and we rent, so can't leave them like that! But grabbed another shot before taking her for a quick spin:

Comparing this to the first picture I took of here, seems like little has changed but under the shabby looking bodywork is a world of hurt, emotional turmoil but ultimate pride and joy. Cliché as f*** but I really did smile like a kid with a free ice cream the whole time I was driving her up and down the road to check I had gears and no major failures.

I didn't have a horn at first, realised after taking the boss back off that the little copper spring strip on the column wasn't making connection with the boss itself, so sorted that pretty quickly. One area left to work on now:

Got no wipers front or rear, washer or heater blower in the cabin, it the two relays numbered 72 and 19 that I need to replace. I also have an issue where the coolant level light keeps flashing despite more than enough coolant in the system, suspect it's another relay as I've seen one for sale on Heritage Parts that is for the level monitoring system, but I can't see it on my fuse board. For anyone else who is having issues with relays, this topic over on Club GTI is a god send for identifying relays by the number stamped on them:

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/relay-numbers.166865/

Just got to sort these issues out, a damn good clean up and then it's off to the MOT centre to get it back on the road fully. I intend to sell off my currently little daily run about and use the funds to get new bumpers and other bits for Hayley now, start tidying her up and making her look a lot better.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #108 on: 12 May 2018, 19:06 »
In case you want to compare the above front and side view pictures with the very first two of her:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277127.msg2567330#msg2567330
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 19:17 by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #109 on: 22 May 2018, 12:35 »
Small update, it was actually (potentially) relay 18 that needed replacing as this controls all the affected systems. Loads of info out there just a Google search away. I replaced the relay as the terminals were covered in corrosion but that didn't work at first. Quick spray of trusty WD-40 and everything sprung back into life.