Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302031 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #1090 on: 21 April 2017, 19:53 »
Thought headlight washers were only a legal requirement for Xenons. Read about something to do with the LED units being able to control the spread of light much better and quicker, so less risk of blinding on coming drivers when they get a bit dirty ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #1091 on: 21 April 2017, 20:09 »
I thought that too.

The Seat Leon Fr comes with LED headlamps as standard and you need to specify the winter pack to get headlamp washers.
7.5 GTD

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #1092 on: 21 April 2017, 20:14 »
Washers are legally required for xenons only. LED's generally not. But they come with the winter pack. Not sure if fitted otherwise - there could be just blank cutouts in the bumper.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #1093 on: 21 April 2017, 21:24 »
washers def not needed on LED.  My 330d has LED lights and washers were an option.

Personally that stinks and tbh I don't know if VW LEDs are better than BMW (I would guess similar but probably no better) and I don't rate them any better than xenons really with the disadvantage that you don't have headlight wash so if I could have traded LED's for xenons and had something else I would have but they came as standard on the 3 series M sport + pack.
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1094 on: 21 April 2017, 21:53 »
AFAIK...

Headlight washers and automatic levelling

Part 6.2.9. "Other requirements" says: "Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.”

Part 6.2.6.2.2 says "... devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means. These manually adjustable devices shall be operable from the driver's seat."

However, part 6.2.9. says “With respect to vertical inclination the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. above shall not be applied for dipped-beam headlamps:

(a) With LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam; or

(b) With a light source producing the principal dipped beam and having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen."

So, these laws say you must have washers and automatic levelling only if the light source is more than 2,000 lumens total output, or the light is produced by LEDs (of any brightness), according to (b), above.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1095 on: 21 April 2017, 22:30 »
Jesus, what's wrong with just having headlights? :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

physio

« Reply #1096 on: 22 April 2017, 09:10 »
the  new mk 7.5 must be available to Bentley workers now 
I have seen at least 8 this week  all GTi 's   :laugh:

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #1097 on: 26 April 2017, 13:32 »
is it just me, or does this bumper look a lot better than the gti?

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1098 on: 27 April 2017, 11:28 »
New FL DBP GTI here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280272.0 on behalf of a new member just in case anyone here has missed it.  :smiley:

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #1099 on: 27 April 2017, 16:17 »
New FL DBP GTI here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280272.0 on behalf of a new member just in case anyone here has missed it.  :smiley:
Thanks, yep missed it entirely. Certainly more aggressive looking than the 7, about b time too! Still on the right side of subtle. :wink:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.