Author Topic: I bought some diesel additive! Anyone else used it?  (Read 6153 times)

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
I bought some diesel additive! Anyone else used it?
« on: 01 February 2014, 16:07 »
I bought some Diesel Rhino for my mk6 GTD, has anyone else had any experience of using it?

I did do a search but couldn't find anything!!
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline Candy Man

• GTI forum regular
Re: I bought some diesel additive! Anyone else used it?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2014, 17:36 »
havent used that brand before, ive used millers diesel plus for years, cant say ive noticed any difference in cars performance, i use it more as a fuel cleaner type ...

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2014, 19:47 »
I've used forte and redex and i can say it runs soooo much smoother with it in sounds like a petrol :-)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2014, 22:12 »
Nope, probably reckon its a waste of money, but then again I do so many miles that I would be pouring it in all the time, nothing like trying to make all those miles cost even more.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2014, 22:15 »
I'd recommend Millers, my MK7 GTD runs smoother, with fewer DPF forced regens and with 5% better fuel economy. Less chance of EGR valves and swirl flaps etc gumming up. Costs me the equivalent of 1.2p per litre of fuel when you buy a 5L tin rather than a small bottle, but pays for itself on the fuel economy gains. Millers is the only additive "Honest John" website acknowledges as having genuine benefits.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline jonathan_phang

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2014, 20:39 »
Interesting. I'd always though that these sort of things were like snake oil. Is it a case of adding a certain amount per tank of diesel? Do you need a few tanks to see the benefits? Might have to try some out to see if it helps economy.
Candy White MK6 Golf GTD | DSG | Heated Leather | RNS 510

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 13:34 »
Might try some millers, give the tdi's a good redline clean out!
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2014, 17:33 »
Once seen on Fifth Gear that they put a treatment of Redex in a VW Corado and gained i think 5 bhp. They were doing varying things to see if they could get it back to factory spec Bhp by doing that first then plugs then i think an oil change. They created the same condition on each run on the dyno and by far the Redex gave the most BHP gains.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 18:05 »
For an older engine, non synthetic 2 stroke oil. The cheap stuff made for mowers from Halfords for example.

The best additive I have used in all my diesels. The high pressure additives help lubricate pumps designed for high sulphur diesel to run with the modern "clean" stuff. Makes the engine quieter on startup and it added 2 or 3 mpg to consumption.

Not for newer cars with the DPF though.