Author Topic: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..  (Read 94953 times)

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
Re: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2013, 18:51 »
Hi Andrew - thanks for posting your results and interesting to have some insight into the tuning you've been doing with this engine.

Do you have anymore fine tuning to do?  Or is the box for the GTD with these settings available to order now via your website? 

Also, what kind of discount can you offer to forum members?  :wink:

Cheers
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2013, 19:13 »
Looking forward to seeing what you can get from the gti. These are great results for the gtd

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2013, 19:51 »

What about brakes ? The PP GTI with 230ps uses larger discs and ventilated rears. Obviously the standard GTI with 220hp has the same brakes as a GTD, but I guess the GTD is heavier in the nose, so are there any recommendations over brake upgrades ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm quite new to the mapping scene (as I'm quite an old fart - well, compared to the toddlers on here  :grin:)
Norbreck - (from one fellow old fart to another  :grin: ) the weight gain for the diesel these days according to VW data is less than adding the rear doors in a 5 door - so hopefully not much of a problem braking-wise.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2013, 20:01 »

What about brakes ? The PP GTI with 230ps uses larger discs and ventilated rears. Obviously the standard GTI with 220hp has the same brakes as a GTD, but I guess the GTD is heavier in the nose, so are there any recommendations over brake upgrades ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm quite new to the mapping scene (as I'm quite an old fart - well, compared to the toddlers on here  :grin:)
Norbreck - (from one fellow old fart to another  :grin: ) the weight gain for the diesel these days according to VW data is less than adding the rear doors in a 5 door - so hopefully not much of a problem braking-wise.

Aye, 20Kg for GTD over GTI (with same number of doors), 5 doors is 30Kg - they don't put bigger brakes on the 5 door models or even 5 + DSG (which is even heavier - 17Kg)
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 11 November 2013, 20:09 »
i'd be more worried about the headroom on a manual clutch rather than DSG

Is there any reason to believe the manual clutch would be any less resilient than the DSG?

I misread, the old literature rates the 6 speed dry clutch at 350Nm - they must have updated as the GTD surpasses that. http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/transmissions-and-drivetrains/dsg look at the bottom of the "how does it work" section.

At the time I read this probably 5 years ago, the manual had a sizeable margin over the DSG.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2013, 21:20 »
Hi Andrew - thanks for posting your results and interesting to have some insight into the tuning you've been doing with this engine.

Do you have anymore fine tuning to do?  Or is the box for the GTD with these settings available to order now via your website? 

Also, what kind of discount can you offer to forum members?  :wink:

Cheers

Andy

Kits are now available, and well never stop tweaking :)

£80 off the full rrp, so £359 plus £6.95 shipping and free updates for as long as you own the box.

Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2013, 21:24 »
£80 off the full rrp, so £359 plus £6.95 shipping and free updates for as long as you own the box.

Free updates is handy if you get itchy feet every 2 to 3 years like I do and change your car.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2013, 21:41 »
I wouldn't call 2-3 years itchy feet  :laugh: I'd better not go into my recent car history  :whistle:
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2013, 09:57 »
some feedback from our Skoda DSG vRS owner who's running the pre dyno software, intact this particular file (4 plus 1) produced 210bhp and 450nm,

Anyway, over to the car.  Its pretty much been faultless (touch wood).  The one word answer of WOW! still applies!  There is so much more torque and "go" in the engine through the gears now that it truly transforms the car.  On the plus side the acceleration when needed from 2000rpm upwards is vastly improved and quite controllable when regulating the throttle so it doesnt light the tyres up in third gear!  There is a bigger surge of torque between 3000-4000rpm (which is lots of fun!), almost like a powerband which does carry on but drops slightly after that but I tend to change up at 4000rpm anyway as I dont like the way the DSG holds onto the gears until 4500rpm.

Ive done about 250 miles (A,B roads) since it was fitted on 4:1 last week and a lot has been wet driving so I have had to watch in 3rd and 4th as the tyres can get away from you a lot easier so its not just a case of "foot down" like it used to be in the manual 170 vrs as you didnt need to worry as much then.  Ive also found it quite hard to test it fully as you're soon up to 80mph in 4th with the engine staying quiet as if its still doing 60mph.  Gear changes seem fine and no different to how it sounds without the box.

Ive tested it in all modes and my favourite has to be the manual flappy paddle as it feels so much more in control and with the extra toque/bhp you can control the flow of power to the wheels and 

The mpg has also improved as on a run that would have been 44-45mpg before is now 49mpg.  Not sure if this is actual fuel efficiency or the box fooling the fuel calculator??

I have noticed one thing for development and its that the DSG seems to hold onto higher gears now in D mode.  ie driving along at 40mph in 4th which is about 1100 revs.  I wouldnt be running this in a manual as I would be in third but I seem to have it in my head that before the box accelerating slightly would drop it to 3rd straight away and youd be off.  Wit the box it now seems to hold onto the gear longer.  ie 40mph, 4th, 1100rpm, rev slightly and it pulls away in 4th without changing down which feels slightly boggy and not right (might also affect the DMF).  If you apply more revs like half way down on throttle then it will change as it sees the need to accelerate away faster.

Now this might be in my brain so dont take it as read yet.  I need to test it without the box on to confirm this but if it is would you have any thoughts on it?  Maybe a map that starts pulling later ie 2000rpm?  I was wondering if the DSG sees more torque available at the low end of the gear therefore doesnt think it needs to change up?

I think Id be pretty happy running the box as is in 4:1 without any increase as its such an improvement and we may possibly be into territory where the DSG doesnt like the extra torque produced with a higher map.  Ive also not had a coil light that you experienced on yours.

Great move teaming up with Ben at Shark by the way.  He's very well respected on briskoda so that will win over a lot of the "map or nothing" guys on there who wouldnt usually entertain a box.

Let me know if you want me to try out any of the tuned maps from shark.  You should have also got the other box back in the post as I sent it on special last week.

I have aMK7 Golf 2.0 TDI 150ps owner who is running the same software, and i have just received this from him via text.

customer - Hi Andy, so last night I had a play with the box. Thought your bro had set it to map 4 but was actually on 1, set it to 4+1 and holy crap.... That is more like it! So much torque :)

me - nice one, well I’m sure that map produced 210bhp on my 184ps, i tweaked it and it went unto 226bhp... so there is more to come

customer - Jesus, that is a big gain! My car pulls really hard now, map 1 is really tame but 4 is where it's at :)

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2013, 12:00 »
this maybe of interest to some of you..

That right, you've read it correctly. Purchase a DTUK Petrol or Diesel Tuning System between now and the 31st of December 2013 and youre in with a chance of receiving a FULL REFUND from us for the full cost of the system.

The draw will be made on January the 3rd 2014, with the winner being named on our Facebook page.

This offer is open to our retail customers only.