Author Topic: New V.A.G. Racing Series  (Read 11807 times)

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
New V.A.G. Racing Series
« on: 30 January 2009, 23:29 »
Press release from www.golfgtiracing.co.uk

Hi All,

We're starting another race series for 2009 !.

The press release is shown below, but essentially it will be for 2 wheel drive VAG vehicles introduced prior to 2002. This should get some VAG models back onto the track which currently are refugees from other race series and don't have a properly focussed forum in which to race.

Also, for the first time at club level, we'll be allowing diesels to enter !.

The Mk2 Golf Championship will continue as a fantastic low cost option. We expect budgets to be higher for the new series, but it does offer the opportunity for some of you to move over to this alternative in the future.

The Golfs should be in the same paddock as the Trophy cars, so there should be quite a VAG presence !.

On behalf of the committee,

John.

VAG Trophy Press Release.

New VAG Race Series.

The team behind the Mk2 Golf Race Championship are planning to launch a new race series in 2009 for Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) cars named the ‘VAG Trophy’. This will be run through the 750 Motor Club.

Overview.

Key features :

· Types of vehicle. The series is intended to provide a format for ANY 2 wheel drive model from the VAG portfolio manufactured before 2002. This includes Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda.
· Diesels. We will actively encourage the participation of DIESEL engined models. The organiser’s believe this is a ‘first’ at club level.
· Value for money. It is recognised that budgets are being cut in the current economic climate. We believe the format will facilitate some very quick lap times at comparatively low cost.
· Classes. There are 2 classes for both petrol and diesel models, allowing both near standard and modified vehicles to compete. The vehicles will be categorised on a Power to Weight basis.

Likely Vehicles.

The organisers expect to attract vehicles of the following types :

1, DIESEL VAG models.
2, Ex. Vento Challenge cars.
3, Ex. Polo G40 Cup cars.
4, Ex. ‘Slick 50’ Golf Mk1 & 2 variants.
5, Ex. VW Cup cars.
6, Ex. Trackday VAG models.
7, Seat Cupras.
8, Modified VAG road cars which are adapted for race use.

Series ethos.

The series will build on the basic ethos of the Golf Championship and the organisers will actively promote :

· Highly competitive racing. .
· Strict driving standards (non-contact !).
· Excellent value for money.
· Friendly and helpful environment in which to race.

Series structure

The series will commence in the summer of 2009 and be run over 6 rounds at 5 venues (provisionally).

Further information

Further information and draft regulations will be available from our email address : vagtrophyinfo@aol.com.

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: New V.A.G. Racing Series
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2009, 10:50 »
im looking forward to this! hopefully there will be lots of old vags on the grid, like from the vw cup from years gone by

Offline SteveGolf1990

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2009, 16:07 »
this sounds likea great idea... does anyone know what sort of budget it would be?? I did some racing in the past (makes me sound old lol im only 18)i did junior max in karting at club level(then it cost too much lol) Iv raced ginetta juniors (gt junior series) and some testing in T car ( junior race car series-now gone) aswell as fomula renault 1600 in belgium (cost A LOT!! :laugh:)when i just turned 14! as it was i only made it to qualifing as i crashed on the last lap of it! oh well....

i was just wondering as i have been out of motorsport for well over a year now and im starting to feel it!! the last race i did was at brands i think in the ginetta juniors and that was way back in 2007!

I do really miss it but as with most motorsport im sure everyone knows it aint cheap to compete! I was looking at the golf gti mk2 championship recently and was wondering what that would cost aswell...

if anyone races in the series or plans to race in the new one do you know roughly the season budget?

i am just desperate to get back into racing!!!!

Steve

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2009, 16:26 »
i am just desperate to get back into racing!!!!

Not sure your parents would share the enthusiasm quite so much these days, which may be something of an issue....
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2009, 19:24 »
Hi there,

The regs are written to allow for most types and budgets of cars, and I recon you can build a Class 'A' car for about £6k and a Class 'B' car for about £5k.....and if you use your head you can build a very fast car for not a lot of money.

I think this would appeal to a lot of the engineers in the sport aswell as the up and coming hot shoes.

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2009, 19:52 »
Might make it out to some of these :) be good to see some old VAG cars out on the track.

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline Chris Eyre

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2009, 21:40 »
I think this would appeal to a lot of the engineers in the sport
Are you planning on running a Scirocco in this series Ian, now that you've switched the Seat Leon Supercopa car across to Britcar?

How much would you say a competitive Scirocco would cost to build? £15,000?

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2009, 22:29 »
I would say about £6k....now that VW Cup spec boxes are heavilly ballasted.

Offline Chris Eyre

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2009, 22:35 »
I would say about £6k....now that VW Cup spec boxes are heavilly ballasted.

Am I right in saying the spec of these cars is carbs / TBs, fully worked heads, high comp, cams, weld in cages etc? Full VW Cup basically, without downgrade?

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2009, 22:44 »
No...you can run it with standard intake, heads cams...basically Mk2 series spec engine and gearbox.