Author Topic: Skoda Fabia 1.4 2000 - Head Gasket Problem or is it?  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
recently purchased a skoda fabia from a 1 owner elderly gentlemen but just stumbled across this problem. Its a 2001 1.4 8V Petrol at only 20,000 genuine miles, backed up by full service history, hpi clear and all MOT records. very happy with my purchase!!  :grin: Shes only been driven 20,00 miles due to it being parked for around 3 years.
i purchased it 3 weeks ago and spent a lot of time checking it over to ensure it was okay.
today i went to go check the oil to see if it was okay and realised there was that yellow mayo like stuff on the filler cap!
ive read about it and its telling me head gasket but i dont know? how do i tell its that? also read other pages saying coz its been parked up for so long that may happen

Offline justalex81

• I live here
Re: Skoda Fabia 1.4 2000 - Head Gasket Problem or is it?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2012, 19:51 »
perfectly normal to find mayo on the filler cap when an engine isn't used very often. It's caused by condensation. as long as it's not smoking and your water isn't muddy then it is fine. just give it a good service. don't forget that the timing belt and other belts might need changing. they go brittle with little use.

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2012, 19:55 »
aah thank god, also a small ticking noise coming from the engine, comes on for 5 seconds, then goes off for 5 seconds and repeats.. any idea on that?

Offline justalex81

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2012, 20:46 »
when does it do it?