Author Topic: do i Need for a baffled sump on a mk7 GTI for a track day.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Conbon14

• Just got here
Preparing to do my first track day in the beginning of December, is there any need for a baffled sump in this sort of situation bearing in mind its my first time on track and im not planning on being the quickest round the corners, also in general is this something many people upgrade when on track frequently :smiley: :smiley:

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
Re: do i Need for a baffled sump on a mk7 GTI for a track day.
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2018, 17:48 »
There's a member on here called Wide who frequently tracks his 7.5 GTI PP. He has some Youtube vids also.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2018, 09:44 »
You will be fine, the biggest concern would be long sweeping turns taken at high speed. In theory centrifugal force could restrict the supply of oil to the oil pick up to be pumped round the engine. Oil starvation of bearings could be catastrophic for an engine, but this is in the extreme.

Normally for a wet sump, non baffled sump on track you need to make sure the oil is of good quality and over the half way level on the dip stick.
You need a relatively high level so there is more oil to go round the system, when cornering and heat dissipation.

The reason you do not fill it to the max level, is you are likely to be driving harder than on the road, oil expands as it gets hot and you could end up with other problems, such as excess oil pressure and oil overflowing.

As it will be December you shouldn't have too much issue with excess heat as you can in the summer months!

A quality oil filled up to say 3/4 level on the dipstick measure should be fine.

I would run on track with oil temperature on the central display, keep an eye on this and your water temp guage and do a warm up and cool down lap, rather than go hard from the off and just leave the car after driving hard.

The biggest issue with tracking a Fwd car is the change/ increase in tyre temperatures which you may need to adjust down while on track. Again this tyre pressure increase is less likely to be an issue on track in December.

Have fun!

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2018, 11:27 »
There's a member on here called Wide who frequently tracks his 7.5 GTI PP. He has some Youtube vids also.

Me?!  :whistle:. I say no problem!  :wink:. If you don´t are a racingdriver, the car can handle some ordinary trackadays.. :smiley:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/